• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vote for the most famous BF bino contributor (1 Viewer)

Brock,

You do have the gift for words, but..... There is nobody to convince. It was mine (naïve) initiative and intendet donation. It became the Swarovski SV 10x50 because it is the best bin of the moment. By the way; Extramadura is old news, Hungary is the current time. Maybe you should contact Nikon? If somebody is an ambassador for that brand........
Jan

Jan

Your spontaneous offer was a generous-hearted gesture and I am sure was appreciated by all.

Prize bin or no prize bin Brock gets my vote.

Lee

Brock,

You do have the gift for words, but..... There is nobody to convince. It was mine (naïve) initiative and intendet donation. It became the Swarovski SV 10x50 because it is the best bin of the moment. By the way; Extramadura is old news, Hungary is the current time. Maybe you should contact Nikon? If somebody is an ambassador for that brand........
Jan

After a Thanksgiving feast (which I cooked this year) and two days of leftovers, I'm really not Hungary. ;)

For next year, my travel ambitions are much more modest -- to get down to the Honey Creek Bill and Beak to try the 8x32 and the 10x50 SV EL and the 8x30 Habicht. I didn't even make it to the "Big Sit" at Bald Eagle State Park this year due to a slow healing injury. So driving farther than the mall will be a milestone. :smoke:

The Nikon model I'm most interested in trying is the 7x42 EDG (just in case Santa is listening).

Brock

Lee, be careful Brock keeps getting all these comments his IPD adjustment for his porro's will certainly grow!!! :) Bryce...

Thanks, Lee, and to all the other members who voted for me. Just for the Halibut, I went back through the pages of this thread and was shocked to find how many voted for me! More than I had expected.

I'm humbled rather than inflated, so I don't think I will have to worry about my IPD growing, but just in case, my EII's and SE's IPD go well past 80mm. ;)

Brock

My vote for the most famous goes to FrankD. He has tried out and posted numerous reviews on a large variety of binoculars. It takes a newcomer to the (sub)forums only a couple of searches to figure out that the posts to look for are Frank's if you are looking for detailed, understandable & informative posts - that are respected by all. There are names that stand amongst the crowd for many reasons (good reasons!!!), but I think Frank's name would be the first to come to mind for many of us and not just on this forum

I agree :t:
My vote goes for FrankD : His reviews are precise and it is always ready to do a service. He is never disdainful with the newbies. The number of threads opened by Frank is very impressive (Brock is far behind). For me, he's the most "universal" contributor.

I agree :t:
My vote goes for FrankD : His reviews are precise and it is always ready to do a service. He is never disdainful with the newbies. The number of threads opened by Frank is very impressive (Brock is far behind). For me, he's the most "universal" contributor.

True, I'm more of a thread finisher than a thread starter, and hopefully this "roast" will end this thread.

For Dadra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_%28comedy%29

Yes, Frank is very helpful, he's helped many a birder find the right "fit" with his reviews and comments. In fact, Frank is so helpful, that he always helps himself to a second, third and fourth helping on Thanksgiving. ;)

If there were a category for "Most Helpful," Frank would win it. But alas, "popularity" is a dubious honor and often involves bravado, showmanship, good looks, and the wearing of either a football uniform or a cheer leading outfit (Frank was not a cheerleader, he was a Yell Captain, so let's just make that perfectly clear).

While the muscle men were out there butting heads and chasing the pigskin around the muddy field, Frank got to hold the cheerleaders by their tiny waists and lift them up on his shoulders and watch their skirts twirl above his head. Yeah, football players were more popular, but I think he got the better end of the deal. :smoke:

I hate to see this contest end with no clear winner and no no prize, so I will give all my votes to Frank, which will put him over the top so he can be awarded the 2012 Uncle Toonose No Prize for "Most Universal Contributor".

Congratulations! Frank. Follow this link to collect your No Prize:

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/211559505.jpg

<B>

Last edited:
True, I'm more of a thread finisher than a thread starter, and hopefully this "roast" will end this thread.

For Dadra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_%28comedy%29
Yes, Frank is very helpful, he's helped many a birder find the right "fit" with his reviews and comments. In fact, Frank is so helpful, that he always helps himself to a second, third and fourth helping on Thanksgiving. ;)

<B>
- A roast ? I'm french, you know :eat: : http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wUgSPjIgVNo/TRzDOy4L2DI/AAAAAAAAABE/syO4wxzV5Ms/s1600/SDC13911.JPG

- You mean Franksgiving :eek!: ? ( like F. Roosevelt who change the name and the date ?)
- But I agree, it's time to finish this ridiculous post : http://www.deguisement-magic.com/me...d/e/deguisement-bourreau-adulte-wid5890-1.jpg

What does the heading of this long thread mean? Maybe the original poster will tell us when he ceases to justify his nom de plume!

I'd think "most famous" means just "best known", and that, in turn, means (a) in the minds of most Bf. members most often (b) in the long run. The relevant members are likely to be those who post anyway; it's unlikely too many will post for the first time just for this vote (we'll never know what they think).

Personally I probably think most often of Frank in the long term, because it's he who has helped me most often with info. - that I request, and even in other posts. For most readers, in the short term, currently: maybe Dennis, who's got going again with his usual enthusiasm; or Brock, with his large and versatile presence; CJ, who brightens up anything; Jan, with his offer and withdrawal (who then "gets" the prize!); or Newfie if a lot of people wonder where he is!

Last edited:
I must say you guys remain consistent.

Be it "best binocular" or "most famous contributor".... all those posts and no agreement on anything!!!!:-O

CG

CG, in bird watching, hunting, Bf. "discussions"...often it's the thrill of the chase - except in this thread it looks like we don't know what we're chasing.

Last edited:
I will donate a miscollimated plastic Meade 8x28 reverse Porro to the winner. It has the coveted "devil eyes" ruby coating, which makes grass look like, no lie, green fire.

Another vote for the disreputable Sancho. He's bound to win. I think I'll just go ahead and send it to him...(lot'sa grass in Ireland).
Ron

If I win I´m going to demand a recount. It would be a travesty, a mockery, a sham. (On the other hand, hmmmmm....ruby-coated reverse-porros that create Munchkin-land grass. How to resist?)

Frank, Typo, Ronx2, Henry, et al (and "et al" consists of a further half-score gentlemen contributors) are among the most informative and helpful posters and deserve credit. Not sure what "well-known" means in the OP´s title.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back