• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler (?) from Maastricht, NL (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine took these photos near Maastricht (southern Netherlands) in mid-May, and with that angle and light, I'm just not sure what it is (chiffchaff? icterine?, something completely different and completely obvious?).
What say the experts?

As always, many thanks in advance.

T

Attachments

• maastricht 1.jpg
    maastricht 1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 73
  • maastricht 2.jpg
    maastricht 2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 74
  • maastricht 3.jpg
    maastricht 3.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 73
Hello,
I dont get an Hippolais vibe from this:
  • bill seems too short
  • tail seems too narrow based and not broad/full enough
  • more, your warbler seems to have a notched tail, where the notch distracts shape from a slightly rounded=full or square-cut shape
  • I think the head-pattern doesnt give the open-face impression an ID-book Hippolais warbler would give
Yes, this isnt easy to judge here (no offense as allways), but I think its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. And I am in the WW-camp here: head pattern with chinese-eyed eye-stripe, pale ear-coverts and long (but yes, not prominent=striking) supercilium together with smooth yellowish colours (I think they give the Icterine-jizz here) are better for a WW than for a Chiffchaff. But I struggle to rule out a Chiffchaff with confidence here.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back