• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small raptor from South Africa, late march (1 Viewer)

I would be interested in feedback on the app if anyone has used.

The 5th edition appears to be available for £14.31 from amazon.
Kindle version is £9.99

The app is £17.49 - however the app is optimised for on screen use and includes '1000 calls'. Which I guess makes it similar to the Collins Bird Guides app (of which I am a fan) . In addition it says that it will update the app in the future for content - in principle future proofing.
I have the 5th edition app, beside high quality songs and calls every species is depicted with the book's pictures plus several photos showing all age classes. Great app!

Tom, if you should happen to have a phone with an SD card... do you know if the app allows storage of (part of?) its data on the card? And how much storage space it uses on the phone and how much on the card?
I have it on my Iphone (so no SD card) it takes 1.16 Go with 287 ko of documents and data

Looks like a great app, I'll have to get it next time I'm headed for that part of the world!

Meanwhile, I dug up this one photo which is equally terrible as the original, but does show more of the belly.
Is that helpful at all in telling apart the Sparrowhawk from the Goshawk?

Attachments

• IMGP9978 (2).JPG
    IMGP9978 (2).JPG
    917 KB · Views: 17
Looks like a great app, I'll have to get it next time I'm headed for that part of the world!

Meanwhile, I dug up this one photo which is equally terrible as the original, but does show more of the belly.
Is that helpful at all in telling apart the Sparrowhawk from the Goshawk?
I think this photo points to Little Sparrowhawk, mainly because of the feathered upper legs

Thanks. Is that a real difference? It is indeed a difference shown in my (old) SASOL, but I've taken that to be due simply either to posture or to an artist's quirk. I don't see that difference between the species in other artists' work. I've not found any mention of it in field guide texts.
I would have thought that, in the second of the OP's photos, all one is seeing around the legs is flattened belly feathers.

I don't think thigh feathering is a valid point, unfortunataly we do not see a lot in the second picture, except the better visible and typical barring on the sides and not so big toes pointing towards Little

Thanks. Is that a real difference? It is indeed a difference shown in my (old) SASOL, but I've taken that to be due simply either to posture or to an artist's quirk. I don't see that difference between the species in other artists' work. I've not found any mention of it in field guide texts.
I would have thought that, in the second of the OP's photos, all one is seeing around the legs is flattened belly feathers.

I don't think thigh feathering is a valid point, unfortunataly we do not see a lot in the second picture, except the better visible and typical barring on the sides and not so big toes pointing towards Little
I'm still using the SASOL 4th Ed, so I'll go with your more up to date knowledge. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back