• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler species, Finland (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hello

Can I have help with id of this warbler species please?

BR

-Finbirder

Attachments

• acr1.jpg
    acr1.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 97
  • acr2.jpg
    acr2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 88
  • acr3.jpg
    acr3.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for your reply Lou. Savi's is quite uncommon here. I was thinking mostly either Blyth's reed warbler or Marsh Warbler, they both breed in the area.

The birds did not make a sound and therefore I am not certain about their id.

Savi's for me...interestingly in my Collins guide they are not shown to be breeding in Finland, suggesting that Estonia is their nearest breeding station, of course young birds are on the move from early July onwards.

Great shots btw.

Thanks guys. Savi's is recorded yearly in Finland but I don't know if it even breeds at all. So it's a rare bird here.

I got so excited about the possibility of Savi's I sent the pictures to an experienced Finnish birder who knows the area. He said that it's most likely a Marsh Warbler.

i'm not entirely sure but felt that the undertail coverts are too long for an acrocephalus.
edit: yes, probably your finnish birder is right. pale primary tips are better for palustris and UTCs look long relative to tail tip because rectrices are not fully grown - that was it what tricked me...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back