• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warding off squirrels (1 Viewer)

lngbrder888

Not sure if this is an impossible task, but I finally have a big garden for the first time in 5 years and I have just been given a 4 feeder, feeding station. The garden is already full of birds so I know it will go down well with our avian friends, but I know there are a lot of squirrels in the area as well.

Are there any tips on deterring the bushy tailed mammals? Does using Niger seed have an effect? Any one have any success with using squirrel 'baffles' over the top of the feeders? Also worried about seeds spilling out onto the floor and attracting rats. Is it just a case of keeping it all neat and tidy?

Sorry for multiple questions...I thought if anyone knows it would be you guys!!

Thanks

I have found that providing the squirrels with their own peanut box keeps them away from the bird feeders for most of the time. I've hung a cauldron from a tree at the far end of the garden, well away from the feeders and put a couple of handfuls of peanuts in it each day. They love it and spend most of the day scampering up and in, grabbing a nut and racing off to either eat it or bury it!

A bonus has been long tailed, great, coal and blue tits using it and a chaffinch picking up what is dropped or spilt on the ground beneath.

Di.

Squirrels?

" a lot of squirrels"

In theory it is a cute idea to feed the rodents: I have had 20 rodents (I have never fed the rodents) at one observation. My question, how many squirrels is "a lot". I have studied this issue to some degree and in my yard I have had some success with the defense of RODENTIA!

CObb

The squirrel baffles (those transparent plastic hemisphere things) work extremely well in my experience. You need to ensure that the feeders are kept well away (at least 6-8 feet) from branches, fences etc from which the squirrels can launch themselves in a bid to get round the baffles. Testing this can be very amusing, although the GS Woodpecker that we once saw get hit by a flying squirrel launching itself from on high in a bid to reach some peanuts on which the bird was feeding probably thought differently! Our squirrels have also starting gnawing away at the edges of the baffles, where they can reach them, but it is taking them an age to make any useful difference and by and large they have given up on this, so, 5 years on, so far so good.

As for spilt seed, you're right. You just need to keep an eye on it and if the squirrels, finches, pigeons and doves etc don't hoover them all up, you may want to sweep them away every couple of days to deter rats.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back