• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxbill? Singapore (2 Viewers)

wuwu1277

Hi, these two photos were taken in Singapore this morning, some kind of waxbills? but so far only 4 types of waxbills in Singapore, not like anyone of the 4. Can you pls kindly advise ID, thank you very much in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 55
Look like Yellow-bellied to me.
Thanks much, Andy. Could these birds be zebra waxbills? I am not too sure the different ID features between these two species as there are no yellow-bellied waxbills in Singapore. Is it possible to advise further? Again, thanks much 🙏

Thanks much, Andy. Could these birds be zebra waxbills? I am not too sure the different ID features between these two species as there are no yellow-bellied waxbills in Singapore. Is it possible to advise further? Again, thanks much 🙏
Yes zebra, aka, orange-breasted waxbill

One bird (bottom left) has a plain grey head and yellow belly and looks superficially like Yellow-bellied. However, the whole bill is red, not just the lower half, and the vent is orange, suggesting it's a Zebra. The bird at the top in the 2nd image certainly is.

Orange or Orange-breasted Waxbill, Zebra is such a bad name for this species as we have a Zebra Finch in Australia

Well noted with thanks, but in ebird checklist submission, can choose zebra waxbill only... ?:unsure:
Probably you can change the English name (s) by changing the ebird settings (if you really want to do this). It can be useful: some of our party did this in South Africa so that the ebird names matched the common names people use there (I didn't which led to endless confusion)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back