• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings anybody? (1 Viewer)

Just what constitutes massive numbers? I agree the 100+ flocks haven't hit England yet, but they have hit Scotland and crossed the Irish sea.

It's all relative, but it feels like there are a big number here already.

Plenty around our area in the past few days, Ian [other half] saw a flock of around 200 stripping the trees not too far away from us.

Here is a photo he put in the gallery of some that could not get in the trees and were having to wait there turn on the TV ariels.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/224223/limit/recent

Bit late for this but two weekends ago I was away in England. When I got home my dad said there were some funny birds outside the house yesterday and he'd got a photo. Turns out they were waxwings!

Never seen them before! Why'd they have to pick the weekend I was away?!

Did see my first carrion crow though while walking down a street in Bournemouth. (Not quite as good as waxwings but still a "tick")

One of Raymond's Aberdeen birds has been seen in Suffolk, so the move south is definitely progressing. This is only the second east coast sighting, with the first realising the error of its ways and prmomptly heading west again!

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

"One of Raymond's Aberdeen birds has been seen in Suffolk, so the move south is definitely progressing. This is only the second east coast sighting, with the first realising the error of its ways and prmomptly heading west again!"

There are still one or two straglers up here. The local Sprawk had a go at a couple on the cotoneaster in front of the house on Friday, but ended up with a Starrie instead.

Regards

Malky

just some thoughts on waxwings. In early November there was a medium arrival in North Norfolk, the best count being 30 odd in Kelling/Salthouse area, what seemed odd about this arrival was that the birds found a few very suitable berry trees but only stripped the top layer of berries and soon moved on leaving an almost full crop of berries still left on the tree, strikes me strange why newly arrived, tired birds would be so picky. Although the branches are quite low hanging i still can't see how the birds would be vulnerable to predation.

currently an extremely small trickle moving west along the north norfolk coast, regularly being reported at Titchwell and 1's and 2's over Sheringham in the last week.

nothing like that high pitched trill then seeing one careering over.

what seemed odd about this arrival was that the birds found a few very suitable berry trees but only stripped the top layer of berries and soon moved on leaving an almost full crop of berries still left on the tree, strikes me strange why newly arrived, tired birds would be so picky.

I am fortunate to have spent some time trying to catch waxwings with Raymond Duncan and he says that they prefer the small berries, the larger ones being much harder to swallow. That would perhaps explain this behaviour.

Really fascinating birds and the best birds I have ringed ( next to crossbills that is !)

Lindsay

14 here today in Basford park road Stoke on Trent.

Attachments

• IMG_9118.jpg
    IMG_9118.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 60
Great stuff folks !

Keep checking those photos as well as birds in the field for colour-rings. We are currently getting 3-4 reports per week which is fantastic so many thanks to all who are looking and who have submitted sightings. You are an important part of something quite special !

Cheers,

Lindsay

nothing like that high pitched trill then seeing one careering over.

Absolutely, once heard never forgotten...At least 12 in Leicester City Centre last couple of days, very difficult to see enough to ascertain if they're ringed or not, haven't seen their legs so far!

I have only had the joyful experience of seeing flocks of these beautiful cedar waxwings once in Florida during the winter. About twenty descended on my mulberry fruit tree in mid March or Feb. I have never seen them since.

Heard a rumour of a small flock of waxwings being seen in a residential garden in Caterham, Surrey yesterday. Anyone here heard more or able to verify if they are still about? (Also posted this on the 'Your Local Patch: Surrey' thread.)

Cheers,

David

Heard a rumour of a small flock of waxwings being seen in a residential garden in Caterham, Surrey yesterday. Anyone here heard more or able to verify if they are still about? (Also posted this on the 'Your Local Patch: Surrey' thread.)

Cheers,

David

There are 23 birds in two flocks in back gardens in Station Road near Upper Warlingham station today.

Cheers,

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back