• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings- Autumn 2011 (1 Viewer)

There's been quite a few reports in the last week or so. Are there large flocks in Western Scandinavia now? Has the berry crop failed in Scandinavia or am I jumping the gun?

Paul

Berries crap here in FI...I predict a bumper winter for youse lot..gits!

I've got a couple of berry laden trees outside the back window. Last winter I had loads of thrushes but no Waxwings to my knowledge. By the time the Waxwings reached my area the fieldfares had stripped the lot. Might have to invest in a stuffed Goshawk, until the (potential) invasions at full strength!

Then again, don't want to scare off the next Dusky Thrush.

Would be bloody brilliant if we had another bumper year! Last winter we got them in our garden, surely too late for an amazing invasion though? Last year I saw my first on this very date and living in North Hampshire they often take a little longer to reach us. If the berry crop is poor once again this year there is potential there will be another invasion but at this late stage and with only a handful of reports, I think it is highly unlikely we are due a mega invasion like last year!

Alex

You could be right Alex, but we didn't get many in London until December and we ended up with flocks of 200+ by January/February. Maybe there won't be so many this year but even since I posted this thread this morning there's been a few more seen.

Yes I think there is a fair chance of more than usual, however I do not think we will see a year like last. 4 have been reported in Buckinghamshire today and flew west I believe, so some are certainly making their way into the country, so lets keep our fingers crossed!!

Havn't seen them yet but keeping my eyes out though I normally see them in my garden in Late January/Early February.

I have set up a Google Map for recording where Waxwings are in Lancashire as I missed them last year, but it could be used for the whole UK if anyone wants to add any sighting they come across. Does anyone have a suitable icon??...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=215943485784349476579.0004af2da8699e7904acc

One place they certainly won't be in Lancashire is near James Hargreaves plumbers in Burnley - one of their favourite places for the past umpteen years. Soon after dozens of birds were feeding on berry trees edging their carpark, they were all chopped down!

S

They have been cropping up here over the last couple of weeks with two flocks in double figuers and several individuals reported across the mainland.

I live in the States, Eastern Pa, but waxwings are why I just joined this forum. I am deluged with them! I've been here for twenty years in this location, and have seen them only twice, in the spring, in migration. But now I have at least eight, not a deluge exactly, but it is relative to me....what's more, they seemed to have arrived with a similar number of robins, and the two actually seem to be flocking together. They sit side by side on the birdbath, drinking pretty heavily. But they don't seem to be migrating. They seem to be settling down...

The moderators have given me some helpful tidbits, and I do wonder if the waxwings will actually try to overwinter.

Last edited:
spotted 2 today in county durham
added to the map ... took a while to figure it out

Attachments

• IMG_8781.jpg
    IMG_8781.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back