• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (2 Viewers)

cjay

This is the month to be looking out for our most exciting of winter visitors, the Waxwing. This parakeet like birds with peach colored plumage, waxen like primary tips & a fine crest of feathers can be found in either small or very large flocks from now until March or April, rarely any later.

In some years we have seen flocks of 400 or so but these are the top end of the scale. Flocks of fewer than 20 are more common & one of the best places by far in the Lowestoft area is Bloodmoor Road by the overhead footbridge. Waxwings are creatures of habit returning to the same places every winter. A flock of 18 birds resided here during last winter thwarting would be year listers by keeping away from this site for most of new years day!

In 1995/96 A large gathering of 400+ birds were to be found in & around gardens on the Rosedale Estate at Carlton Colville Near Lowestoft Suffolk.

Gardens are a great source of food for these Scandinavian winter visitors as berry trees normally hold a full crop because unlike other wild birds they are not afraid of visiting very small gardens because as they have little contact with humans where they breed,. Spending all their time in the tops of coniferous forests, the birds on there winter holiday are surprisingly tame. Once I came within inches of a Waxwing & I am sure that if I was so inclined I could have picked it up from the branch & held it.
Some birds have been seen exhibiting coloured rings on their legs.
It has been proved that by recapturing the birds or by recording the rings in the field the birds can live for many years returning to it’s favourite winter restaurant year after year.

Well at the moment no. Not in East Anglia anyway.
It seems if all the berry bushes have been depleted. The birds would have arrived by now If it was to be a good year.
CJ

It's been great for them from my point of view - saw them for the first time ever and they were in my home town on my birthday !

Not many this far up, but as Colin says there seems to have been a couple of hundred sighted together further south !

Since they return to a previous site, that means that I will probably see them again this year. I wondered if I would when they came by last year. It was the first time that I had seen the [except in pictures].

To the Waxwings,

Please come down to Sunny Devon this winter!

There seems to be no record of one in the 2000 Devon Bird Report so I will have to hope for the best when i nip up to Staffordshire. Oh to be by the sea on the East Coast!

Theres been one for three days just north of Portsmouth. I went to see it on weds afternoon in strong winds and heavy rain but it was keeping its head down and I missed it. Shame as it is one of the birds Id most like to see, still I saw Twite and Ring Billed Gull so it was a good day after all.

Martin

Last March was the first opportunity for me to feast my eyes on these beautiful birds. So sleek and elegant.

I've just returned from a wekend trip to Norfolk. Saw my first ever waxwing, which was the highlight amongst several other lifers for me. It's such a strange looking bird - yet stunningly beautiful.

I've posted my trip reort in the aptly titled "trip report" forum!

I just popped out to the shop and saw a flock of Waxwings on the telephone wires near my house. I had my binoculars and had a great view-there were in fact both kinds found in Japan (Bohemian Waxwing which I think is the same as in England and Japanese Waxwing which is confined to NE Asia).......
I`d never seen them here before over the previous 3 winters so I guess the current Waxwing invasion of the UK is being mirrored over here in Hokkaido Japan (or I`d just dismissed them as starlings at a distance before maybe!).

Welsh Falcon
Waxwings
I am very jealous. You've seen your first waxwing!
This is a bogie bird for me-have never managed to see one yet. I'm amazed at how many times they are reported close to supermarkets or on main roads and busy housing estates. Needless to say, by the time I get there they have just eaten the last berry and gone! Iam going to try and get to see the one at Netherton tomorrow but I won't hold my breath. On a positive note, I finally managed to see Bitterns at Ladywalk res. in Warks. last Sunday, altho' Iv'e seen them elsewhere.

I've seen quite a few waxwings over here, Dec. 29 last year the last time. I have never seem them passing berries to each other as I have read that they do. Have any of you?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back