• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the facilities like at Saltholme (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I'm hoping to be able to go with my RSPB Local Members Group based on Tyneside to Saltholme next March and it will be my first trip their as I live by myself and don't have my own transport. My question is what are the facilities like at Saltholme.
Ian.

Hi Ian, if your looking for a top class visitor centre with a great cafe and a good range of optics and other birding gear, 4 good hides, always something to see and you just never know what might drop in to Saltholme. The Bridled Tern must of been this years star bird. I maybe am being a bit biased as it's my local reserve but I am sure other members what have visited the reserve have had a good experience. Hope you enjoy your trip and hopefully post your sightings on the Saltholme thread. Enjoy.

Damian.

I find the facilities excellent, Personally I'm not really a fan of reserves I'm happy out in the middle of nowhere but I often visit saltholme with the other half as it has an excellent cafe, toilets and shop and the reserve itself has some decent hides where there's always something to see.

The staff who work there, volunteers and otherwise, are great, you'll find everyone very helpful and lovely people.

Not only is the cafe great I heard talk that someone had 175 sp from the cafe alone last year. But perhaps that's just an urban myth!

Well I'm looking forward all being well next March as apparantly the The committee of my RSPB Local Group reckon that this outing will prove very popular with the members of the Members Group and I'll have to be quick off the mark with my resevation with the group when they start to take bookings.
Ian.

Well I'm looking forward all being well next March as apparantly the The committee of my RSPB Local Group reckon that this outing will prove very popular with the members of the Members Group and I'll have to be quick off the mark with my resevation with the group when they start to take bookings.
Ian.

Well I'm now booked my place to go on the field trip by coach with my Local RSPB Group on March 22nd and this will be my first trip to this reserve as I don't have my own transport which is why I joined my Local RSPB Group so I could get to good bird watching areas and also being with like minded people. The Group also has indoor meetings with talks and slideshows and also local guided walks led by volunteers from the Group.|:p|
Ian. PS I would encourage other members of the RSPB to join their nearest Local Group as well.

Last edited:
Well I'm now booked my place to go on the field trip by coach with my Local RSPB Group on March 22nd and this will be my first trip to this reserve as I don't have my own transport which is why I joined my Local RSPB Group so I could get to good bird watching areas and also being with like minded people. The Group also has indoor meetings with talks and slideshows and also local guided walks led by volunteers from the Group.|:p|
Ian. PS I would encourage other members of the RSPB to join their nearest Local Group as well.

Morning Ian, I myself do not drive and it limits my birding big time, never thought of joining my local RSPB group, do they provide transport on these local outings ?
It would also be good for me to meet people more experienced than myself, has I am pretty new to this and have a lot of questions.
Hope you enjoy your trip I am sure you will have a great day out. Saltholme has give me some great birding memories, however I have not been for a while, broken wrist, so find it hard to hold my bins for so long. Enjoy

Damian

Morning Ian, I myself do not drive and it limits my birding big time, never thought of joining my local RSPB group, do they provide transport on these local outings ?
It would also be good for me to meet people more experienced than myself, has I am pretty new to this and have a lot of questions.
Hope you enjoy your trip I am sure you will have a great day out. Saltholme has give me some great birding memories, however I have not been for a while, broken wrist, so find it hard to hold my bins for so long. Enjoy

Damian
Hi Damian,
Well at least my Local Group in Newcastle do provide a Bus for the field trips to good bird watching areas not necessarily RSPB reserves but other good bird watching areas as well as RSPB reserves, although you do have to make your own way for the local guided walks. I don't know what other Local Groups do. I have checked and there is Cleveland RSPB Local Group on the RSPB's website and they meet in Middlesborough, as I see you come from that area Damian. I don't drive either and I live by myself and so that is why I joined my Local Group to be able to visit good bird watching areas with like minded people and they have some excellent talks and slideshows with indoor meetings as well.
Ian.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back