• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What besides birds? (1 Viewer)

newfie ghost

Since this is bird forums, I assume we all bird with binoculars? But what else do you glass, if anything? What else fancies your glassing eye?

Recently, Formula1 motor racing, and Olympic archery (and hopefully other events if I can get tickets). They'll be with me at Twickenham for the rugby in a few weeks. :t:

David

Whitetail Deer! And any other wildlife I come across in the woods, fox, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits etc. Also use them for Nascar, especially at Pocono!

Oddly enough, Trains...

Also butterflies, trees & flowers. Also distant & scenic views...

Is train spotting odd in the USA, its an established hobby in the UK?
I think most of BF users will also use then for wildlife in general, including butterflies, dragonflies and insects, modern bins with good close focussing are useful for the latter.
My younger son lives in the Portsmouth area so I use my bind for watching ships (Royal Navy) and yacht racing.
Used my wife's compact 8x20s at a Bob Dylan concert at the Sheffield Arena.

Apart from all wildlife, as a radio ham I find them useful for checking out the antennas for damage on top of the tower after a bout of stormy weather.

chris

With such a rubbish Spring and Summer and the dearth of interesting birds mine might
be used for 'Eddie Stobart' spotting soon!!
Russ
PS What will the Americans make of that if they struggle with trains!

My bins often accompany me to the cricket and horse racing. Also handy for looking up at tall buildings for those of us interested in architecture.

My bins often accompany me to the cricket and horse racing. Also handy for looking up at tall buildings for those of us interested in architecture.

The time when I'm most likely to look at something other than birds and trees is when I'm in an open area waiting for a look at birds of prey. Sometimes I see 'em, but too far away, on rare occasion a red tailed hawk or turkey vulture will fly right overhead.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to spot some bluebirds. I hear them, but they rarely come out from the hedgerows into the open area where I watch BOP unless I go early in the morning or in the late afternoon.

My roommate in college was an architecture major and went on to become an architect and builder. He taught me a few things about architecture, which helped me develop a greater appreciation for different styles and movements, "From Bauhaus to Our House".

At the front of the field toward the mountain ridge where the BOP ride the thermals is row upon row of student housing, which is boring looking.

Fortunately, along the perimeter of the park are some custom-built homes, so when nothing's doing bird-wise, I will take in the architectural sites in the area.

One large home has a huge green house with humungous curved windows. The appointments in the yards are also unique - an octagon shaped birdhouse; a homemade wheel barrel and shed; a handmade stone wall; the largest satellite dish I've ever seen on a house - must be part of SETI; a carriage house; an Italian villa type home with iron railings.

Looking at buildings is where AMD and pincushion become most noticeable in my bins.

My favorite bin for looking at architecture (and only for this activity) was the Nikon 10x42 HG, but more so on campus, which has a variety of structures, from winding, green-tinted glass LEED certified buildings to old cottages built at the turn of the 20th century to buildings from the 1800s with gargoyles and other interesting carved details.

Sometimes, I even look at HVAC pipes and vents on the roofs, which are more interesting than it may seem. There's also lots of landscape architecture on campus since the university offers a program in that field.

Although I enjoy looking at birds and more so studying their behavior, I have an artistic eye and enjoy colors, textures, lines in a variety of objects, both natural and man made.

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back