• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird do you find annoying? (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
Dunnocks for me. They skulk around in the bottom of bushes and try and convince you that they are rare. I must have wasted hours of birding time over the years staking them out. They masquerade as chats, large warblers and even American Sparrows.

Wrens do it too, but they have more redeeming features.
no jane i love the dunnock!!its such a refined bird movement and song.
MAGPIES are my hate if i have one in the bird world

Steve Babbs said:
I'd imagine if you ask anyone whose surveyed waders for a living - which I spent too much time doing when younger - they would say oystercatchers. Someone I worked with descibed them as the Jeremy Beadle of the birdworld (apologies to non-uk members who probably have no idea who I am talking about). When I used to ring I developed a pretty strong dislike of blue tits.

Steve
hi steve i hate jeremy clarkeson(petrol head) more than any bird! but love oystercatchers more than redshanks... redshanks always give you away when trying to get a bit closer to the action!! the sentenal of the marsh! well named..

A true bird lover should not dislike any bird, Woodpigeons, Starlings, Crows, Magpies, Gulls & the lovely little Dunnock, I like them all. Favourites are a different matter, I have many, the Raptors are high on my list.

Rod.

All the species that don't come in my garden and the one that I married ( only joking darling) she's standing behind me. Aggggggg me neck.

squirrelman said:
I have absolutely NO use for Starlings!! They are noisy, filthy birds!!

Well said. I have the biggest problems with starlings. They monopolize my feeders, make nests in my house, and wake me up with their dribbling yiddish in breeding season right outside my window. I don't care what they look like, I wish they would all just go back to Europe from where they came!!! :C

Mourning Doves and Pinyon Jays, both for their noise: The doves for scaring off everything else in the yard when they get spooked, which is frequently. And the jays for their arythmic "sentinel call" that one bird repeats all day long during the several days they're in the area.

House sparrows annoy me because they tend to "sweep" out y feeders dumping all the seed all over the ground. They are cute enough but they sure do make a mess!

Skylarks.

Ten minutes of pleasure when they announce en masse that spring is returning, then an entire spring and summer of irritation that they won't stop and let me hear what else is about.

Oh yes, and despite it normally being one of my favourites I have to mention the Peregrine that flushed the Musselburgh Western Sandpiper five minutes before I arrived and condemned me to a whole day there so I got home at 0300 next day instead of a sensible time in the evening.

John

The Raptor said:
A true bird lover should not dislike any bird, Woodpigeons, Starlings, Crows, Magpies, Gulls & the lovely little Dunnock, I like them all. Favourites are a different matter, I have many, the Raptors are high on my list.

Rod.

Someone was bound to take this too seriously.

To Canada geese I'd add greylags when they are a feral population, making a horrible noise. Shoot the lot I say. Like Canada geese they are fantastic when they're where they should be.

A non-true birdlover.

Steve

Dont take it too seriously mate. I'm pretty sure the Song Thrush, (and most of the other comments) have a hint of sarcasm behind them.

J

tommybrent said:
I Am amazed, saddened and very dissapointed by this and other comments.

House Sparrows and Starlings... spring after spring I've watched evil starlings drive Red-bellied Woodpeckers from their nest holes, and I've had House Sparrows destroy chickadee nests, smashing the eggs and tearing the nest up. Also, the House Sparrows swarm all over my feeders and gobble down all the seed and scare away the other birds... I need to buy a trap.

Neil G.

Gray Catbird - In the middle of the summer, when there's preciously little about, every other bird you see stirring is a catbird. The only things you hear calling are catbirds. And when you pish, 3 of the little buggers come at you.

It depends on the time of the year.

Wintertime it is the pileated woodpeckers that going annoying, everytime something moves, it is another pileated. :C

Early summer and the ovenbirds drive me crazy when they are on territory, you can hardly walk through the woods with those buggers yelling from every prominent perch. :C

Mid summer the mourning warblers get downright annoying. :C

The Connecticut Warblers are usually my idea of the perfect bird -- silent and near impossible to see, but even they go through a couple week rowdy period when the new fledgings are running around, and that guttural "chuck! chuck! chuck!" everywhere. :C

Fall, and it is the dang Bald Eagles, endlessly coming by my favorite gull landfill on their way south, looking for an easy breakfast and stirring up the gulls. :C

Don't even get me going on the gyrfalcons and their antics!!! :storm:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back