• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is the true sign of spring where you live? (1 Viewer)

From childhood I "learned" that the sign of spring in the USA was the first arrival of the American Robin. Most people here, I think, still take this event to be the sign of spring. I have found in subsequent years that the robins are actually here all year long. At times they are few and far between during the winter months, but at times they can be found in huge "winter roosts" which number in the 100,000's.

I had a robin singing outside my bedroom window yesterday morning, so that really said spring to me.

Although I have started to think of when the blackbirds come back, spring is just around the corner.

When I lived in Alberta it was without a doubt the Chipping Sparrow. I would start to hear its trilling around about the end of March.

In California I would say Song Sparrow. They are resident all year but its only last week that they have started singing (as have the Lark Sparrows). Otherwise its probably going to be Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, BH Grosbeak or Western Tanager. Or may even the Orioles.

Skylarks should be the sign for me as I tend to see them a lot on my local meadow but though they're much more active at the start of spring and really making a lot of songflights the fact that I see them in the winter too and hear them singing a little in those cold days makes them less of a sign than birds that appear with Spring. Blackbirds are around all year too but somehow their song makes more impact on me - I've always been a sucker for Blackbird song, even before I got into watching birds.

Skylarks singing for me too. Just the sound makes me smile and think warmer thoughts :)

Lapwings, Curlew, Blackbird, Skylark and Willow Warbler.

Another sign of spring for me are Lesser Black-Backed Gulls which breed in the Forest of Bowland but can be seen wandering all over Lancashire and neighbouring areas. They soar above and their calls are one of the ultimate signs of spring here.

I would add Song Thrush but they start to sing in winter and their song reminds me of winter as well.

First Chiffchaff singing (heard yesterday!)
Black headed gulls developing their sooty heads again
Blackbirds, Mistle Thrushes and Song Thrushes siging for all they are worth
Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming
First returning Sand Martins...

Later, the first Swifts and the first time I see the distinctive sillouette of our local Hobbies.

for me the first days of spring are when the first white storks pass through, which can be the end of January. Once they're on the move, the great tits start singing and then it starts to move so quickly that before you know it spring is over. It's now the middle of march, the storks (both sorts) and cranes are moving through, red kites are back on breeding grounds, black kites are moving, curlews and lapwing are back, the first few swallows were here last week and there are garganey all over the place. Just waiting now for my favourite - yellow wagtail, aka 'squeaky bird'.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back