• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird would you like to see next? (4 Viewers)

Having seen the BBC advert "It's better in HD" which shows a Great Grey Owl flying over the snow and then perching for me it's got to be one of these as the bird I would like to see next.

Watching that sequence in HD really was amazing, I've seen some clips and photos of those owls before but that really did blow me away and show just how astonishingly wonderful the Great Grey Owl is.

I would love to see a Stone Curlew, I've heard them a few times while out at night looking for Nightjars but I've yet to see one.

As a beginner at this bird watching game, I would happily plump for a bullfinch!

I would heartily agree; they're superb to see and even when you've seen them a few times it's still great to see that big, fat, rosy belly. :t: It's been a while since I've seen one, I'd be very happy to see one again.

For me, at the moment, it is any of the so-called common UK species I have not yet seen in the UK (category A?) - of which I managed to tick off two already this year, leaving me with:

Hobby
Pintail
Tree Pipit
Red crested Pochard
Common Redstart
Garden Warbler
Whinchat
Lesser Whitethroat

Other than those, I would love to get my penguin list started....

I want to see another White Backed Woodpecker and more Little Bustards.

For new birds wouldn't mind a Rufous Bushchat...

Treecreeper...it's starting to bug me now
I live in Epping Forest and I still haven't seen one yet this year :-C

As a beginner at this bird watching game, I would happily plump for a bullfinch!

I used to live in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire and used to get Bullfinches in the garden during the winter months. They were feeding on the Honeysuckle berries. If you have enough garden, try one. Mine was growing up a chain link fence.

I believe they have been recorded at Brent Reservoir.

Now that I have moved from the UK to the USA, I think I would like to see a Bald Eagle. They have apparently been recorded in my local country park but I have yet to see one.

I'm probably the only german birder who hasn't seen a Serin in Germany. I've seen them in several other countries, but that would probably be the easiest bird for Germany I'm missing.
Same for Barn Owl, wich I have only seen dead or in other countries.
Other quite easy birds I'm missing:
Bittern (heard several times, but never seen)
Corn Bunting
Little, Boreal and Pygmy-Owl (seen the latter one in Latvia)
Crested Lark (seen in Senegal only)
Rosefinch
Nutcracker
Ortolan Bunting
Savi's Warbler (heard only so far)
Nightjar
Bee-eater (seen in Spain so far)

I'd love to see a Corn Crake and to get better looks on Quails

Real wish birds which I highly doubt to find would be Snowy Owl and Steller's Eider

MfG Maffong

For me, at the moment, it is any of the so-called common UK species I have not yet seen in the UK (category A?) - of which I managed to tick off two already this year, leaving me with:

Hobby - Try Shapwick Heath.
Pintail - Try Slimbridge in winter.
Tree Pipit
Red crested Pochard - Try Cotswold Water Park.
Common Redstart
Garden Warbler
Whinchat
Lesser Whitethroat

Other than those, I would love to get my penguin list started....

Some suggestions for you.

My dream bird ever is Javan Lapwing, the lost bird of Java for more than 5 decades and no one ever take it's picture. I really want to see this bird, tough near impossible.
The more possible bird i really want to see right now is no more than Spoonbill Sandpiper, Black-chinned Monarch, Ivory-breasted Pitta, King-of-saxony Birds of Paradise, Luzon Bleedingheart, and much more!

Pure and simple owls of any shape or variety.

Saw an Eagle owl in South Africa and a burrowing owl in Argentina before I started birding, but not a UK one.

Having said that, did spot a very large owl with 'ears' near Gloucester on Xmas Eve. Only had my bins with me and couldn't make out detail, but swapping mails with a local birder, I think it was an escaped eagle owl. Too bulky for a Long Eared and no sightings in Gloucester in 2012.

So I'm still reduced to 'You should have been here yesterday...'.

pusser_uk, I have been seeing bald eagles like mad, lately...if you try the Seattle area, it should be full of them, too. Not sure if that is accessible for you.

I still did not see a treecreeper, and I have stared at every tree I can find! I have to see one, this year.

Demoisselle crane.

They fly over Jeddah then north before heading inland to Hail where they are known to land, rest, eat and recharge before moving on north and north east. I can drive from Riyadh (its a very long way) to Hail. The problem is knowing when and a wasted trip is a big chuck out of a weekend. The peak migration varies from year to year by as much as 4 weeks.

Luckily a birding friend north of Jeddah usually sees them and can give us an early warning. Lets hope it works.

Rob

Treecreeper...it's starting to bug me now
I live in Epping Forest and I still haven't seen one yet this year :-C

Stumbled on a Treecreeper while watching the DB Dipper in Thetford..next I'd like to see Cirl Bunting..another tick I should have but don't.
(maybe I'll pick up the PB Grebe on route if it hangs around until the weekend?)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back