• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What constitutes "Self found" ?? (4 Viewers)

Dear all,

Those who know me will know I am a 'fairly keen' twitcher and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of rare birds found in the UK and it seems a shame that we very rarely get chance to thank the finder in person, as when we get there, they're probably out avoiding the crowds and looking for the next one.

That said, I go back to the points alluded to by TophillBirder and FozzyBear and it is my opinion that the self-found analogy invaraibly applies to those who compete amongst themselves, say between mates on their local patch (friendly rivalry), or those out to prove a point (more of that later). To put this into context:

During the last 20 years I've been very fortunate to bird with some excellent birders, who are widely considered by their peers to be the best in their field (sorry for the pun) and consequently prolific bird-finders; on a national level, Dave Flumm and Ken Shaw both spring to mind as do Richard Patient and John Oates (now in the Midlands) from my home county - all have discovered gross rarities through sheer time in the field, perseverance, persistence and above all, knowing where to go and when to go out.

It is perhaps a reflection of their enjoyment and passion for the hobby that these great 'finders' of rare birds do not generally give a jot about initials in reports or 'self-found lists' etc, as they watch birds for pure enjoyment and if their hard work pays off they are entirely satisfied with their reward, which is not a written credit but actually the enormous buzz and excitement of others enjoying in their find. Paul Higson and the Sandhill Crane is a good example here - thanks again Paul!

There is however, as I mentioned earlier a dark side to this as pointed out by Tophillbirder, that there are individuals; they know who they are - who persist in a)claiming birds for themselves which others have found through their own endeavours or b) equally 'poaching' by sending the record in as their own to get their initials on the bird. This for me is fundamentally 'fraud' but above all else is disingenuous to the person who actually found the bird and totally dishonest, besides which it is rather sad that they have nothing better to occupy their time with. Please note no individuals are named here in the interests of diplomacy.

I've not found many 'rares' but then again I don't expect to, as I don't spend much time in the field - that is my decision though. However one only has to look at the pager messages coming through day after day at the moment to see the effort others spend in the hope of finding the 'big one'. I have the greatest respect for the people who each day, every day search for and find rare birds and UK 'twitching' would not exist without them.

They probably don't keep a list of what they've found but they are the 'self-found' heroes and I take my hat off to them!

S.

I agree with some of what you say, but should point out that several of the people you mention do keep self-found lists and have them published on public internet listing sites.

Also, I find the suggestion that keeping a self-found list is somehow more likely to lead to false claims a bit strange. Stringing is stringing, and at least as prevalent amongst the twitching fraternity as it is amongst those who put in the effort to find their own birds.

Is this what the hobby of birding has come to? Rule 4 or any other rule for that matter. Rules, smules...birding is for your enjoyment not a job! Don't treat it as such. Relax and just bird...

Aye to that.Christ, there's enough flippin' rules around without birding being burdened with the damn things.

Next thing we'll know some faceless Eurocrats in Brussels will be making them for us if we're not careful.:C

Oh why Ireland did we have to sign up to that Lisbon claptrap??:-C

Enjoy the birds.Find your own.Sod the rules.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back