• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What does UHD mean in the context of binoculars? (1 Viewer)

HD, UHD, ED – when it comes to resolution and picture quality, there’s a veritable flood of different terms, and not just in the context of buying a TV. Imaging performance also plays a key role when deciding which binoculars are the right ones for you. In this interview with our ZEISS System Engineer Dr. Florian Grimminger, we clear up the confusion surrounding the terms, find out what makes the UHD concept in the new ZEISS SFL (SmartFocus and Lightweight) binoculars stand out, and explain why they can perform like larger models despite their compact design.
Read more here: Interview ZEISS System Engineer

ZEISS_Label_UHD_nature-EN - sm.jpg

I have never looked through a modern pair of Zeiss binos that were beer bottle green in tint. But, I have to admit, the SFL feels like a very color accurate binocular. After a few hours of use it has that crisp and natural contrast viewing that I really enjoy. Well done.

"Ultra High Definition", also translates as "very expensive". Zeiss use ED and multi coated glass.
It boils down to what you find acceptable. Lack of distortion and aberration is wanted for photography but do we need that for visual observation when the brain tunes out a lot of the unwanted stuff.

"Ultra High Definition", also translates as "very expensive". Zeiss use ED and multi coated glass.
It boils down to what you find acceptable. Lack of distortion and aberration is wanted for photography but do we need that for visual observation when the brain tunes out a lot of the unwanted stuff.
And more expensive without it, SF.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back