• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What goose in the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

Lani

Netherlands
Hi,

Does anyone know what type of geese these are? I saw them today in Amsterdam Noord. Most of them are all white, but a few have grey/dark brown heads.

Or are they ducks?!

Please let me know! Thanks :)

Attachments

• geese.jpg
    geese.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Hello Lani,

welcome to birdforum from me, too!

I agree with David, foresttwitcher and Butty that your bird is a "Domestic Goose". A term used to describe these birds. It incorporates many features/points/informations, well covered in other threads here on BF.

As you have asked for the grey headed birds:
there are two regular "suspects" for this:
  • a Grey x Canada Goose hybrid, the most frequest Goose hybrid in central Europe.
  • a Greylag x Swan/Chinese Goose hybrid. As Swan Goose or better the domestic form of it is in the ancestry line of "Domestic Goose", I think this is the explanation for the head pattern of (at least the two well visible) grey headed birds.
And please note, that most (at least) Greylag x Canada Goose hybrid with uniform pinkish bills have still some black on the nail/tip. Your birds lacks this completly. Compare: https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/02/09/13/96/1000_F_209139664_V9Ekz3bsarJ4EaTOyTXtLIaMYltOFtia.jpg

Conclusion? The grey headed birds are "Domestic Geese", which means in that this case, that the head pattern shows signs of Swan/Chinese Goose in its ancestry line.

I hope this is understandable and correct, I hope for Jörn and others to comment.
And thanks Jörn for your recent detailed comments again!

Hello Lani,

welcome to birdforum from me, too!

I agree with David, foresttwitcher and Butty that your bird is a "Domestic Goose". A term used to describe these birds. It incorporates many features/points/informations, well covered in other threads here on BF.

As you have asked for the grey headed birds:
there are two regular "suspects" for this:
  • a Grey x Canada Goose hybrid, the most frequest Goose hybrid in central Europe.
  • a Greylag x Swan/Chinese Goose hybrid. As Swan Goose or better the domestic form of it is in the ancestry line of "Domestic Goose", I think this is the explanation for the head pattern of (at least the two well visible) grey headed birds.
And please note, that most (at least) Greylag x Canada Goose hybrid with uniform pinkish bills have still some black on the nail/tip. Your birds lacks this completly. Compare: https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/02/09/13/96/1000_F_209139664_V9Ekz3bsarJ4EaTOyTXtLIaMYltOFtia.jpg

Conclusion? The grey headed birds are "Domestic Geese", which means in that this case, that the head pattern shows signs of Swan/Chinese Goose in its ancestry line.

I hope this is understandable and correct, I hope for Jörn and others to comment.
And thanks Jörn for your recent detailed comments again!
Hi Alexander,
Thanks very much for that information, it's very understandable and just what I was hoping to find out :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back