• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what is better? (1 Viewer)

Eden,

Tricky one to answer. It rather depends on what is important to you. The x42/43 will give better low light performance, but that how useful that will be in sunny Tel Aviv, you will know better than I.

I have looked at several binos in the Pentax range, but honestly can't be sure if I tried the SP or not. I'm pretty sure it would be better in a number of ways than the Monarch. However it still doesn't have a wide view, and from what I remember most of the Pentax's I tried had a slightly unusual colour balance.

Of the three, the Conquest is the one I'd most like to own.

David

I only have experience of the Zeiss so can`t offer an opinion on which is better.

My opinion on the Zeiss is mostly favourable, obviously it won`t be as bright as the 42mm`s.

A bit narrow in fov, pin sharp centre, good colour balance, focus was coarse but got smooth eventually with lots of use, built solid but lightweight around the neck.

Birdwatching.com called it the brightest, sharpest bin under $800, I think I quote that price correctly.

hey,
thenk you very much:)
I ask three birders from israel what they say, and all of them answerd the same: zeiss. they say that it's very high optical quality, low weight and a compact size. one of the birders say that I need to think about the fact that I need to carry lot of things: spotting scope, camera, lens and more !
I will be happy to hear another thoughts !
eden
And come to israel ! lot of great birds !

And come to Israel ! lot of great birds !

Ill second that.. ;)

eden, I'm also shopping for a new 8x42 binoculars (I'm in Eilat mostly in the desert..) after doing some thinking and research Ive come to conclusion that its better to spend more $ for quality optics, specially when using them for long period of time.

i also started in the monrach/Bushnell area, and actually got a new 8x36 Nikon sporter from work a few days ago... i know camera and lenses and I'm sure that these sporter may be good for some but not for me when I'm using them most of the day.

I'm going either the new zen prime HD (still waiting for some more reviews) or hoping to get a good deal from ebay on used leica/swarovski/higher-end zeiss.

with the last three companies you will always have a good resale value in Israel .. (you could even profit after 4-5 years) .. with Zen i believe the release value will also be good but outside Israel (ebay etc..) thats another thing to consider...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back