• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of bird is this? (1 Viewer)

Hello, today after I woke up and got out of bed, after looking out of the window I saw a rather peculiar looking bird I had never seen before. It was tall and narrow, had a pale yellow underside and everything else on it was either dark blue/black (I don't remember the exact colour sorry) and white. It had a rectangular shaped tail. Sadly I was only able to get one amateur picture of it before it flew away. It's very blurry and does not give a lot of info. Intially, after some searching on the internet, I thought it was a Chickadee but then I realised that Chickadees are more fat than this one bird I found.
So can somebody please help me to find out what this bird is?
NOTE: I live in New Zealand so it might be one of our native birds, also sorry for my bad English - not my native language
Also, sorry if it is something very common, I am not a bird expert so if it is, I am very sorry for wasting your time. I am also sorry for the bad photo as I was too scared to get close if it would fly away.

Attachments

• 20220516_103111.jpg
    20220516_103111.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Hi miserablepersona and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That's a kingfisher, and probably a Sacred Kingfisher (I'm not sure if you have other kingfisher species in New Zealand) but someone will likely let us know if that's the case.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks so much!!! I searched up Sacred Kingfisher and I think that it most likely is one, only thing that seems to be different is I remember the wing colour being a little bit darker, but you've been a huge help! I just wish I got a better photo so I could show my family and friends haha

Okay, I did some digging and found this website NZ Kingfisher.
According to it only the Sacred Kingfisher breeds in New Zealand so yes, you were right :)
Also, I realised I already knew the bird. Just as a different name. We were taught about New Zealand birds in primary school but we were taught the Sacred Kingfisher's name as the 'Kotare'. Lol

I remember the wing colour being a little bit darker, but you've been a huge help!
Colours can change quite a lot, depending on the light and angle of the light.

We were taught about New Zealand birds in primary school but we were taught the Sacred Kingfisher's name as the 'Kotare'. Lol
Ah yes, alternative names can cause problems sometimes. Particularly when two countries call different birds by the same name LOL. However, no-one else would call them Kotare would they, as that's the Maori word.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back