• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of heat can be detrimental to hatchlings? (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Okay, so it went to 106 here today. I cannot imagine how much hotter it is in the nestboxes. Is there a point where the hatchlings will die from the heat?

Great question KC. I've a really neat birdhouse I've wanted to erect but the only places I could put it where I would be able to observe would be in full sun and we can get over 100 here as well in summer. So far I haven't put it up just because of the caution you raise.

I have always wondered that when putting up a bluebird house. My property being south facing meaning direct sunlight, would the the house overheat or does the birds like the added warmth. Good question.

Okay, so it went to 106 here today. I cannot imagine how much hotter it is in the nestboxes. Is there a point where the hatchlings will die from the heat?

I read on another site that, as long as you place the house so that it is out of direct sun for the hot part of the day (morning sun is OK), and that it is LIGHT colored wood, the temperature inside the house will be about 10 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. I also read that if it's 100 degrees inside the house, the babies might die. There's also a "heat shield" that you can install, but I'm not sure if you make one or buy one.

I've had swallows fall out the nest on hot days. If your nestbox is on the shady side of the house they might be ok. Bird temperatures run about 103 to 106F. How are they doing now.

Thankfully, they fledged. It would appear that they are holding off on another brood as the heat here has been non-stop excessive.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back