• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Makes a Set of Binos Cost $2,500 ??? (1 Viewer)

That is a main difference in their function or utility, and is seldom stressed.

Higher price is partly due to more R & D, better materials (in optics and body), and greater care in manufacture.

They are (generally) "easier and more relaxing" to a wider range of users with their vision deviating from the norm in many different ways.

I would respectfully disagree with a couple of points here. I find the view no more relaxing or easier through my 10x50SV than I do my Toric 8x42 or a Conquest HD, or Gold Ring HD for that matter. The view is better to my eyes, but not more relaxing or easier to view.

Also, the single highest rate of sample variation I've ever seen come from the Zeiss 85T FL spotters. I've seen and used probably 15 different ones and no two are the same. I wouldn't give you $500 for one, especially after using a Meopta S2 "non alpha".

Jgraider, thanks for the comments. It seems to me, though, that there is not much of a contadiction here. For the difference to show up well, I had in mind more of a price, and co-relating to that a quality, difference, than between the instruments you mention. The OP cites the Zeiss SF vs the Zeiss Terra.

Also, Alexis Powell's idea that I quote has the words "tends to", and to that I add "(generally)", so it does not cover every case of an individual user and his/her experience with a particular very-high-priced binocular and a particular much-lower-priced one. As they say, exceptions excepted!

I am interested to know if your experience with the Toric, Conquest and Gold Ring is that they are not relaxing, i.e. difficult to look through for long periods, or not notably relaxing, in order to have an idea of how you find the Swaro EL 10x50 in that respect. As I remember at least one person on the forum said that he was using it as his main glass, in which case the view should be easy on his eyes. Going by such reports here I have recommended the model to a friend, who may already be moving in the matter!

My critical experience of scopes is zero, as I much prefer not to look with only one eye! (From time to time friends press me to look through their scopes, ranging from pretty basic to "alpha", at some detail of a distant bird, but I quickly peep and recoil.) I would be surprised to hear what you say about that Zeiss scope if it is one of their top-tier models in optical quality. If, however, it corresponds to their 3rd tier in binoculars, the Terra, then it is not up there at the level of quality I had in mind in my last post. (Sorry I am ignorant about the model.)

The Toric, Conquest HD, and GR HD do offer a relaxed view. I can put them on a tripod and use them for hours, no problem. The SV offers a stunning view to me though, the best on the planet IMHO.

Another area where the so called "alpha" makers do not necessarily reign supreme is in build quality. For instance my meopta meostar 10x42 HD is as well built as anything made, and better built than most. It seems every bit as tough as the vaunted Trinovid BA/BN.

The Toric, Conquest HD, and GR HD do offer a relaxed view. I can put them on a tripod and use them for hours, no problem. The SV offers a stunning view to me though, the best on the planet IMHO.

Another area where the so called "alpha" makers do not necessarily reign supreme is in build quality. For instance my meopta meostar 10x42 HD is as well built as anything made, and better built than most. It seems every bit as tough as the vaunted Trinovid BA/BN.

I agree with JG here. Although it is hard to know for sure what is inside a pair of bins you get an impression from the overall fit and feel, and Meoptas (and for that matter Kowas) give tremendous confidence in their toughness. Same goes for Conquest HDs. The might not be Zeiss's top line but who can forget that video where one got abused and even blasted with a shotgun and was still usable? My Conquest HD 8x32 have been hammered (not literally, friends) over the last few years and still feel box fresh. I would also put in a word for GPO's HD line. The 8x42 I reviewed recently felt as well built as anything and exterior fit and finish was amazing.

Lee

The SV offers a stunning view to me though, the best on the planet IMHO.

...how you find the Swaro EL 10x50 in that respect. As I remember at least one person on the forum said that he was using it as his main glass, in which case the view should be easy on his eyes.

For me in a non-stabilized hand-held view, I haven't seen anything to top it. A few have come close, but the EL 10X50's relaxing easy-on-the-eyes FOV has the most incredibly comfortable picture-window presentation that always amazes me (well, maybe I'm just "entertained" easily)!! 3:)

Ted

Thanks JG, Lee and Ted. I would guess that Meopta and Kowa in their top tier (MeoStar HD and Genesis) might be considered "alpha" before long. Of course, they are as pricey, at present, as the mid-tier of Zeiss. And I am really relieved to hear what you say about the EL 10x50!

Hey all.

I've often wondered when looking at ads and catalogs where the very HIGH end stuff is shown and priced, what actually makes them cost that much.

Is it the quality of the glass? Are they made by a different division of the best technicians? Do they undergo more extensive testing and hands on assembly? What is it?

Just for argument sake, let's take a set of ZEISS Terra ED 10x42. They can be bought all over the auction site for about $285 or so, maybe s bit more. Now, let's look at the VERY HIGH END of the ZEISS line, Victory SF 10x42 at $2,899!!

Now, what makes the Victory SF cost about 9X what the TERRA ED cost? I'm not asking this to be a smart aleck or a punk, I'm really curious. I mean it's easy to see why a Ferrari is 300K and a Toyota Corolla is 20K. Not so with binoculars. I'll wager that nearly any of us could take a ride in a Bentley and then in a Caddy and we'd understand and be able to tell which one was the most expensive and why. I'm not so sure that it could be done with those 2 sets of binos. Do you all think if we picked 100 members at random and took them out in various days with varying conditions and at various times of day and had them look they both of those ZEISS binos that are the same magnification that most would be able to tell you which one was the 3K set?

I'm not making an argument that they are overpriced. Heck I have no clue. I've never even held an premium set of binos before. I'm just trying to learn what I can as fast as I can.

What do you all think?

Why do you all think those Binos are 9X more than the cheaper set??

Thanks all and have a great weekend.

Larry

1. Quality,

2. Inexperience,

3. Bragging rights, and the belief that

4. Optical quality MUST relate to dollars spent. :cat:

Bill

Europe labor cost

P.S.

I bought a top of the line Seiko watch bracelet solid metal with SEL Solid End Links for about $100 excellent durability that will last decades. It was made in CN. Same solid bracelet from Rolex is $2000 made in Swiss.

Talking strictly about binoculars we lucky these days that we have advanced coatings and ED glass in the $500 category.

Last edited:
Europe labor cost

P.S.

I bought a top of the line Seiko watch bracelet solid metal with SEL Solid End Links for about $100 excellent durability that will last decades. It was made in CN. Same solid bracelet from Rolex is $2000 made in Swiss.

Talking strictly about binoculars we lucky these days that we have advanced coatings and ED glass in the $500 category.

Have you seen what a Japanese made stainless steel Grand Seiko costs? :eek!:

https://salera.com.au/collections/g...d-seiko-9r86-spring-drive-chronograph-sbgc003

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back