• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was the criticism of the old Conquest 8x30? (1 Viewer)

CSG

United States
I impulsively picked up one of these from Costco who has them on their website at $399.99 shipped (plus local sales tax). I knew they were small and light and that if I didn't like them it was an easy return.

I'd read the eye cups were push/pull and locking. On mine, they are twist up with no detents but a twist locking position fully extended. Eye relief is too short if you wear glasses (tried them with sunglasses on and couldn't see the stops with eye cups down). The local Sportsman's Warehouse optics salesmen (who actually know a few things) both had said they didn't like these bins and they had a yellow cast to the image. I have to say, I don't see that at all.

On mine, I find the focus a bit sticky and gritty with a perceived slop or dead spots (but I think it's perceived and not real) in the focus wheel.

My biggest criticism is the FOV. It's really narrow and with the eye cups fully out, needed for no blackouts for me, it's very much tunnel vision like looking through a long tube. Eye cups in most of the way and using the hat trick, it's a much better view but still a pretty narrow FOV for an 8x30 pair IMO.

The view is much easier when going to my SE's and the SE's are clearly superior in all ways except ergonomics (my biggest issue with the SE's).

I had trouble finding much discussion of them here from when they were current so I just wondered what other people's experience with them were. Have not decided whether or not I'm going to keep them but no rush to return with Costco's excellent policies.

How much better are the 8x32 HD's or FL's (relative to their pricing)?

I'd agree with the narrow view and a warmish colour, but my main gripe with the old Conquest was the CA which was very pronounced on the day I tried them. The centre field was very sharp and contrast good though which I liked. I'm not convinced the HD would beat it on sharpness but otherwise CA, FOV, colour etc. much improved IMO.

David

Thanks David, we've got some bright skies today so I need to look for CA and see how it's handled. I don't think I'm as bothered as some but by the same token, I've returned bins for CA that I otherwise liked.

While I'm tempted to want to keep them, I keep telling myself that the $400 tied up in these would buy half of the new HD's or almost a third of the FL's at Eagle Optics.

I had a pair of the 8x30, very sharp and better control of CA than the 40mm abbe koenig models.

The fov is challenging but the lack of brightness is what got to me after trying an 8x32fl.

I will echo David and Torview.

CA and a narrow view!

FL 8x32 has 420' view at 1,000 yds vs 360' for the Conq 8x30 and is brighter and sharper and much better CA control IMHO. FL also focuses closer although its a couple of ozs heavier.

Conq HD is very nearly as sharp, isn't quite as bright and doesn't handle CA as well as FL, but, it is fabulous value for money. Although there have been issues reported with blackouts with HD 42mm (I didn't experience these) I haven't seen this reported anywhere for HD 32.

Good luck whatever you decide o:)

Lee

Thanks Lee. I think we discussed the blackout issues (and eye cups coming apart) on my 8x42 HD's and I ended up being able to upgrade to the 8x42 HT's. I also believe there will be an 8x32 HT down the road and wonder if I can be patient (although they will likely be too expensive for me to have two HT's).

The biggest issue on the 8x30's so far is that tunnel vision FOV. I hadn't noticed CA so far (but will check more closely today) and if it was too bad for me I suspect it would have jumped out right away when I got these the other day.

The old 8x30 Conquest is as sharp as any of the most expensive bins out there in the very center, sharper than their succersors IMO. Restricted FOV aside, problem is that the sweet spot of this exceptional sharpness is so small. BTW, FOV of the 10x40 Conquest isn't that bad at all.

Last edited:
This conquest 8x30 compares somewhat well with the Swaro CL 8x30 in terms of specs.
They are both around the same size and weight, close focus is the same and FOV is similar although the CL has a wider FOV.

I ran into a married couple birding last month. He had the Conquest and she the CL. He said that they were about equal optically when they compared them,
but the Conquest is cheaper now, so he felt he got a nice deal there. I had my CL with me and both bins looked around the same size; Conquest may be a tiny bit longer.

I also believe there will be an 8x32 HT down the road and wonder if I can be patient (although they will likely be too expensive for me to have two HT's).

Zeiss have clearly said there will be no HT 8x32, so while a new alpha 32mm will undoubtedly appear in the fullness of time, I wouldn't hold your breath.
And the FL is so good.......

Lee

I ve tried the Swarovski CL and the Conquest HD 8x32 side by side and the HD were the winner by a country mile. They were brighter, much sharper and the build quality was much better.

I don't like the CL at all. You get the impression swarovski have taken a cheaper body and stuck their logo on it. A few pairs I have tried have had stiff focussing with the focussing wheel scraping off the side of the body. Not good.

The 8x32 HD is almost as good as the 8x32 FL. I spent a while comparing them and felt the price difference was too great and didn't match the optical difference.

As for the 8x30 Conquest - didn't like it. Felt cheap. Hungarian made. Not my cup of tea. Same as the Terras. I wish Zeiss would keep out of the cheap market. It brings the brand down.

Well, after some more looking and comparing, the Conquests will go back to Costco. It's not that they aren't decent, it's that they don't do anything as well as others don't do better or much better. The CA is OK from my usual test subjects but I won't be able to get past the tunnel vision issue and too narrow a FOV.

I was able to make a deal on some FL demos from EO that, while still on the high side of my financial comfort range, will probably not leave me in doubt for the 8x32 class of roof bin that I want to replace my SE's (which are listed in the classifieds!).

Assuming the FL ergos work as well as I expect, they should be a great complement to my 8x42 HT's.

As far as the Terras, I think they fill a slot to introduce Zeiss to the teeming masses. Mine are decent and I bought them used from a BFer just to try out. Good enough to keep in the Land Cruiser and not hate myself if I don't have my HT's that day. I don't think they're as good as some reviews I've read and think the Monarch 7's are better (as they should be based on retail price comparison).

Last edited:
I didn't like the Conquest for many of the reasons already mentioned, I tried hard to like them because I was a bit reluctant to pay the extra for the FL 8X32, but when I picked up the FL 8X32 Victory everything just felt and looked great straight away. I waited, and luckily got a good deal on an ex demo FL, I know it's all personal preference, but for me the Victory "T"FL 8X32 is the best European 8x30/32 around at the moment, period. I say European as I can't comment on the EDG as I have not looked at one yet.

I returned them due to a too narrow fov, notchy focuser, and tunnel-like view. They are decent in and of themselves with a small but sharp sweet spot.

I will either end up the the HD's or FL's if and when I sell my Nikon SE's.

Well, as I just posted in the Binocular Bargains thread in the main binocular section of these forums, Bob Ward's has the Conquest HD 8x32's for $720 and I bought a pair (through their Amazon link, actually). Having had the HD 8x42's for a few days after I got my HT's and before returning the HD's, they were remarkably close in daytime use. My only issue with the HD's had been the eyecups (which are interchangeable the 32's eyecups). However, Zeiss is redesigning them and if I keep the HD 8x32's I'll be able to get a replacement pair when they're released.

I was about ready to get the FL's from EO but the Bob Ward price on the HD's puts them at half the cost of the FL demos.

I listed the SE's in the classifieds but no takers so far and I won't reduce the price so I might not be replacing them in any event! I really want something for out in the field and the SE's just don't carry as well. Not being sealed (I live in an often windy high desert environment) is another concern for a more rugged location. I bought them initially for backyard birding anyway.

Last edited:
Honestly I doubt you will sell them at that price. It's well above going market rate for a 505xxx.

If it was a 550xxx maybe... but Annabeth sold hers (550xxx) for $550 just a couple of months ago and going price on eBay for Nikon 8x32 SE seems to be around $500. Cycleguy couldn't sell his for $600 and ended up having to drop the price on his 550xxx to $550 as well about a year ago.

Considering that when they are in stock it's not much moreto buy brand new than what you are asking (e.g. Adorama at $659), honestly, $599 is a bit of a stretch for a used 505xxx. I bet if you priced them closer to $500 they'd sell pretty fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back