• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your fantasy bird? (4 Viewers)

What a disappointing lack of imagination!

To trump the Tufted Puffin - which is where this thread is coming from - the bird has to meet certain criteria -
1) - it has to be a first for Europe or the WP (which rules out most suggested contenders).
2) - it has to be totally 'off-the-wall' -Tuftie was predicted, but not widely so.
3) - it has to be really exotic - another 'also ran' Yank warbler (it'll be in autumnal plumage too!) just won't cut the ice.
4) - it cannot have any potential as an escapee to muddy the waters - so no ducks which must be a good thing anyhow.
5) - it must be bloomin obvious to identify - we definitely do NOT want another SBC (or a Gray's Gropper come to that!)
6) - it has to have a certain mythic quality - that is it should get all birders positively drooling with desire - so out goes Sharapova.

No, in my opinion it can only be one bird, a bird that is a MEGA on a global scale and would make the frenzy over the Tuftie a mere ripple of interest, some will say my choise is a fantasy too far, but I say let's fantasise big time ....... Ladies and gentlemen I give you ....... SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPER!!

Roc.

Well you did say fantasy bird ;)

Allan

That's much more like it!

I agree with John: if we're going to be talking fantasy birds, let's go all out!

Mine would be a Bachmann's Warbler, spotted just before it hits a mist net, at the Breakwater (ringing) Station, LPBO.

(I would, naturally, have be the ringer-in-charge at the time...)|^|

Peter C.

Lets be serious.

Okay not a WP first, but a Black-shouldered Kite appearring in my bins would probably cause me to keel over.

Surely the definiton of a cosmic mind f****r!

In the spirit of John's reappraisal of the thread, I want to up my choice to Solitary Vireo at Flamborough on Thursday. My patch for five days! : )

Too many Great-horned Owls are in captivity to get a serious look in .... unless it had an American ring on its leg. Azure Tit is sufficiently mythical, but, in my opinion, fails to come up to the 'Tufted Puffin' standard as it's too 'common' in a European context,

A Dodo would be rather interesting!

Meanwhile back in reality, something impressive and striking as opposed to some stupid LBJ or Gull. Not terribly grandiose but I'd really like a Gyr Falcon or Snowy Owl to visit my neck of the woods.

Id say Grays Gropper, being a Great Reed Warbler sized locustella would be pretty obvious to identify ;) and can you just imagine the horror when someone posts a pic from somewhere on the East coast on the ID forum saying 'Little Stint with deformed bill?...Norfolk...2 weeks ago...long gone...etc' ??! ;)

Erm, personally id have Red-legged Kittiwake or Brown Booby off Sussex somewhere. One blindingly obvious but regular right at the other end of the WP, and the other rare as Rocking Horse...erm.. faeces, but could easily be overlooked!

Jan

P.s. I have actually seen a Kittiwake with red legs in Britain, but no it definately wasnt to be (i.e. it was a Black-legged in every way except the legs). Ruddy thing! I did read somewhere afterwards that B-L Kittiwakes with red legs do occur infrequently though, so at least proved I wasnt going mad(der) ;)

In the realm of possibility Two birds that have been seen within 30 (probably less) miles of my yard. Gyr and Snowy. Please don't make me choose. Imagine in the dead of winter roamimng the forests and fields looking for waxwings and crossbills and boo yaaa it would be f#### great.

Last edited:
Well then, lets see.........Well, seeing as the North east/west passages are opening up and allowing mind blowing vagrancy to happen, the ULTIMATE bird to find on any patch has to be.............STELLER'S SEA-EAGLE!!!! Yes please.8-P

Attachments

• Stellars Sea Eagle (Medium).jpg
    Stellars Sea Eagle (Medium).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 36
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back