• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When a new Zeiss binocular? (8 Viewers)

A VSF on the new Zeiss would be a good feature have to compete against the SV EL, whose "pokey" focusing speed at close range some users have complained about.

The other good thing would be to get rid of the astigmatism at the edges, but w/out the "waving mustache effect".

Brock

A focus system which changes speed as the wheel turns is quite a simple system.

At its most basic level all that is needed is an inner cog with large teeth around some of its circumference and small ones around the rest. This will result in the necessary speed change.

A system the same as that used in the Diascope would be more difficult to put into a binocular because a number of geared wheels are needed to produce that effect.

A focus system which changes speed as the wheel turns is quite a simple system.

At its most basic level all that is needed is an inner cog with large teeth around some of its circumference and small ones around the rest. This will result in the necessary speed change.

A system the same as that used in the Diascope would be more difficult to put into a binocular because a number of geared wheels are needed to produce that effect.

I think we all agree. Now.....back to Henry's question??

I wish Zeiss would just get on with it! I have a nagging itch for a quality 7x42 that needs to be scratched! Had pretty much resigned myself to selling off my EIIs to help fund an EDG but now need to see what Zeiss has coming and how it may affect prices for the current 7x42 FL.

Henry your above link to Zeiss revealed the new Zeiss Conquests HD 8x42 and 10x42 which apparently are retailing approx $1000 at Camerland.
Sorry folks there is a new thread re Conquests

Last edited:
What Zeiss needs to do is stop jerking us around and give us the pair of mini binoculars we all want a 7 or 8x25. Not 8x20 Zeiss, 8x25. No alpha maker offers this configuration. My theory is they just perform too damn well and they are worried about the 30-32mm market.

Has anyone looked through the 8x26 rangefinder mini's?

Henry your above link to Zeiss revealed the new Zeiss Conquests HD 8x42 and 10x42 which apparently are retailing approx $1000 at Camerland.
Sorry folks there is a new thread re Conquests

Old
Conquest 8x50 T* ABK-1399.99

New
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42-949.99

Why does 8 extra mm of old bin equate to 450 clams, almost half of the new & improved, more?
The 8x50 is, for all intents & purposes, 1.5X more bin than the 8x42?
If indeed I'm to believe the hype over this new HD(extra-low dispersion glass)

Old
Conquest 8x50 T* ABK-1399.99

New
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42-949.99

Why does 8 extra mm of old bin equate to 450 clams, almost half of the new & improved, more?
The 8x50 is, for all intents & purposes, 1.5X more bin than the 8x42?
If indeed I'm to believe the hype over this new HD(extra-low dispersion glass)

Nixter:
Not sure about what point you are trying to make. The 8x50 Conquest was
a slow seller, and that size is for most makes. Zeiss is introducing a new model in its most popular size, at a nice price. I see good in that.
Your mention of the 8x50 Conquest is probably the first ever here on
Birdforum, so I wonder, what about it?
The original Conquest was always about a midrange model for Zeiss, so lets
see what the new one is like.

Jerry

My point is simple. As a rule items are priced @ what is perceived as their value/what the market will bear in relation to competition and other models within the same line/company. The older 8x50 Conquest on the open market is roughly 1.5x the price the latest greatest in the Conquest line.

Should the new line be undervalued @ current price I think that's great, yet it strikes me odd that the older line, albeit ABK prism & 8mm larger objective, is still selling for so much more than the latest release.

I've no claims to the Conquest ever being anything more than an entry level into the blue label family. I also have no issues, save for Zeiss inability to fabricate a square face on my particular 10x40 endcap rubber bumpers, w/Conquest line. Doesn't have any bearing on the view I just find that particular workmanship shoddy and/or Q.C. lax by my definition.

I also bought a 8x30, that I enjoy in spite of the massive pincushion. I've mentioned that views through both do not bother me or induce vertigo that I've experienced w/other glass.

This isn't a witch hunt, I'm overall a satisfied customer that remains objective and curious.

Now, Jerry what's your point alluding to my mention of the 8x50 Conquest as probably being the first ever on Birdforum?

Thanks for the response. Point taken & that would be a logical reason.

I don't know any better. I eyeball collimated a double vision Barska 45* 20/40x100mm & just stepped inside after watching a red headed woodpecker @ 25 yds. working a rotten/hollowed out limb.

As a rule I don't watch them that close w/40x, yet the big woodpeckers will work the same spot allowing me time to find & focus. Not the intended use for the instrument & I'd been looking at the moon earlier, but rewarding just the same. Like holding them in your hand the detail is amazing even for this cheap clone.

Owning the 10x40 ABK I can see where the 8x50 would be a mite heavy. I follow the new Conquest w/interest waiting for reviews & comparisons.

New cryptic bits of information have appeared on the Zeiss teaser site today.

http://www.zeiss.com/zeissexperience

Looks like the mystery thing coming in March will have something called "comfort focus". Also, a new third circle has appeared which clearly refers to a rifle scope, but that one disappears if you click on the "birder" icon, so I think there must be something else new besides the scope.

To access the new tidbit, click on the center circle marked "95%", then click on the middle of the three tiny circles.
Hmmmm, only 95% light transmission? I have a circa mid-1980's Zeiss West Germany advertising brochure featuring all their models with one page devoted to reasons why Zeiss are the best binocular available one of them being "ZEISS binoculars feature full anti-reflective coating on all air to glass surfaces... Many models have exclusive ZEISS T-Star multicoating which boosts light transmission to an amazing 98.5%".

Hmmmm, only 95% light transmission? I have a circa mid-1980's Zeiss West Germany advertising brochure featuring all their models with one page devoted to reasons why Zeiss are the best binocular available one of them being "ZEISS binoculars feature full anti-reflective coating on all air to glass surfaces... Many models have exclusive ZEISS T-Star multicoating which boosts light transmission to an amazing 98.5%".

Yeah, they don't make 'em like they used to. :)

If you read ads, almost all bin companies make misleading claims. What ultimately counts is what comes out at the EPs - the total light transmission, not just from one coatings or one lens or prism.

You can have high light transmission coatings, but how much gets through to your eyes after the light has passes through the 10 or 11 lens elements in a modern roof?

If you come out with 95%, that's doing really, really good for a roof. The A/K prisms help with the big FLs. But with dielectrics at 99%, there's not that much difference in light transmission from the A/K prisms these days, so why not go for a more compact design SP prism to slim down the design?

Porros were able to get high light transmission decades ago, and premium models today such as the 10x SE and 10x Fuji FMT still outperform top roofs in total light transmission.

The top Euros are closing in, but boy are you going to pay through the proboscis for those extra few percentage points that you may not even be able to notice.

Brock

Many times when the OEMs mention coatings and transmission in the same sentence they are referencing the coatings affect on PEAK VALUES for ONE air-to-glass surface, NOT TOTAL AVERAGE TRANSMISSION of the binocular. Since a modern roof can have as many as 16 air-to-glass surfaces, the best total average transmission possible in a roof is usually ~93% after absorption. Without dielectric reflection coatings, the reflecting surface of the SP roof prism typically drops the total transmission of most roofs to 90% or less. Zeiss's transmission advantage has always been their use of AK prisms in their 42mm and 56mm class optics.

Last edited:
Well Bushnell has been claiming their new Elites have the highest total transmission (? value) due to their 99.7% AR coatings and Advanced Fusion Hybrid Lens system (less absorption?). Swaro implies that their Swarovision AR coatings are at 99.8% now and seems to achieve ~90% total transmission. If the current Zeiss FL has 98.5% AR coatings while hitting ~93% total transmission (due to their AK prisms, I suppose) it doesn't seem too much of a WAG that getting AR coatings to 99.5%+ will put them over 95% total transmission if the keep the AK prisms.

Last edited:
We are indeed living in exciting times for us Binoholics. First Swarovski launch there 8x32 new EL version, then Zeiss with the new Conquest, and then Leica with the new Trinovid. Now we await another new Bino from Zeiss.

Lovin it !

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back