• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation... (1 Viewer)

Another quite positive review. My takeaways from it were:

-Overall as excellent as would be expected
-Very positive about glare rejection
-Similarly to the NLs, given the huge FOV, eye placement is perhaps a touch less forgiving.
-I'm keener than ever to get my hands on a pair of 8x32

Regarding eye placement, as I understand it these large FOV bins (SF 32mm and the NLs) do start to get trickier as the cone of light coming out of the ocular lens is necessarily of a greater angle due to the larger AFOV. When you combine this with the smaller exit pupil, this makes itself more felt. I should think the 8x would be a bit more forgiving than the 10x due to exit pupil size. Similarly, on the NLs, the 8x should be the most forgiving and the 12x the most fidgety, no?

Overall I'm quite keen to check them out. From what I keep reading I think I'll like them well and I doubt the supposed blue ring or the supposed color cast will be terribly noticeable. I most worried about eye relief / eye placement. And I wish the strap lugs were metal but whatever, I also wish the FP strap attachment system didn't exist :)

I’ve had both the 10 and 8x32 SF’s. The 10’s were indeed harder for eye placement. I ended up with the 8’s as my keepers as they were easier for me to use and avoid blackouts.

Hi Chuck,
In one of your post regarding the new SF 8x32, You mentioned that "I want to clarify my ER comments. It seems the binocular doesn't have as much ER as I thought it did with actual use in the field." This alarms me since I have it in order and it should be here next week. Should the ER on SF 8x32 be more generous than the bigger sf 8x42? it is 19vs18 on the spec. I sold my EL 10x50 SV due to ER issue and have been using Noctivid 10x42 and SF 8x42 for a while and very happy about it including none issue with the ER on either one. You also mentioned you might go O ring route. Does that mean you can't find any click stop on the eye piece that would work for you ? Appreciate if you can share more opinions on this issue. Thanks in advance.
John N.

I received my SF 10x32 last week, and have been birding with them nearly everyday. Prior to these, I used Victory FL 8x32 and Swarovski FP 8x32. I wanted a bit more 'reach' but did not like the size and weight of 10x42s. So far, I'm enjoying the SF and haven't found any problems with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back