• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see redpoll? (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
Hi, Redpoll are one of the many relatively common birds that my husband and I have never had a good look at. We had a glimpse of two flying in Hilbre the other day but they could have been any lbj.
Any suggestions for sightings within 20 miles of Chester?
Many thanks.

Well from many other posts, people seem to be drowning in redpoll but not me.
And not a direction given.
I'm not expecting to be invited into anyones garden but a little helpful hint would be gratefully received.

Brewerton1949.
I think the problem is Redpolls are widespread and relatively common. People ar reporting them from gardens and there has been a good passage recently but giving a specific site where you are guaranteed to see them is difficult as they're fairly nomadic this time of year.

Your best bet would be to walk any river / canal and look in the tops of Alder trees or listen for the distinctive flight calls.

I see Redpolls regularly in Stanney Woods (Ellesmere Port) & along the Shropshire Union Canal between Craughton & Chester Zoo but guaranteeing them is another matter.

I was one of the ringers on Hilbre when you came over with the RSPB and called the Redpolls in flight as they flew over the observatory garden.

Sorry I caan''t be more specific but unless you know someone who's ot them coming to a feeding station there are no guarantees.

Many thanks for your reply Phil. It was frustrating to be so close to them but not get a good view. Have been to Moore today but no luck. Will try Stanney Woods.
Thanks again
Jeanie

Jeanie.
If going to Stanney check the birch trees down the right hand path from the car park. Sometimes they feed in the trees about 2/3 way down between where track bears left through middle of woods and snd of main path where it bears left. Check the notice board for pics of Lesser - spotted Woodpecker.

Will do. We heard woodpecker drumming today at Moore but could not get on it. Was hoping it was the lsw.
Many thanks.

You get both GSW and LSW at Moore. The LSW favours the area by the canal near the feeding station. LSW drumming is much more subdued compared to GSW. The high pitched call of the LSW is a good way of locating the bird. Heard one calling on my patch the other day, looked up and there it was. Quality bird.

CB

Thanks for that info CB. It was by the feeding station but was very loud.
A couple of chaps who know the area well had seen the lsw the week before and said they were surprised how loud it was.
Have had a lovely morning walking around Stanney Woods which were full of bird sound but no Redpolls seen.
Off to Pennington Flash with DNS on Saturday so fingers crossed.

Jeanie.
Redpolls aren't particularly scarce but can be hard to pick up unless theres a big flock of them or they're calling. I had a few in Stanney Woods this morning but you need to know the call to locate them.

Thanks for the info Phil. We have grandchildren duties tomorrow and Friday and then off to Pennington on Saturday. Will see if we can get back to Stanney on Sunday.

Was on Hilbre for few hours this morning and when rain cleared we had a few Redpolls over along with Chaffinches and Goldfinches. They can turn up anywhere this time of year. Surpsingly, given the westerly wind direction and inclement weather) we also caught a couple of Chiffchaffs and a Wren.

Jeanie.
How did your quest got?
We caught two Redpolls on Hilbre Saturday and six together on Sunday. Cracking group shot on the Hilbre blog:

http://www.hilbrebirdobs.blogspot.com/

Thers been a strong local passage over the weekend with Jane having loads at Red Rocks and the Great Orme lads having a possible Arctic Redpoll amongst the throng passing over them. Two over my house again early morning.
I wouldn't bother traveliing to far to see a Redpoll - you'll get one locally eventually.

Instead of Stanney we went to Red rocks this morning.
Got very excited by a flock of small brown birds. Two of the group separated and we had reasonable views in the scope.
However we think they were Linnets. The head on one was grayish. There was only a hint of red on the breast.
However, according to 'Collins' the Linnet should have plain wings and I'm sure these were stripey.

Instead of Stanney we went to Red rocks this morning.
Got very excited by a flock of small brown birds. Two of the group separated and we had reasonable views in the scope.
However we think they were Linnets. The head on one was grayish. There was only a hint of red on the breast.
However, according to 'Collins' the Linnet should have plain wings and I'm sure these were stripey.

Jeanie.
Grey on the head suggests Linnets. They're a common breeder in the area. Two photo's of Linnets attached. Linnets have white outer webs to the primaries so can look 'stripey'. Most of the Redpolls are passing over and the one's we've caught have been forced down due to rain or fog during early morning.

If you are members of the RSPB Redpolls can some times be seen in the alders along the boardwalk at their Inner Marsh Farm Reserve at Burton. If your'e not members you can join at reception!

Attachments

• Linnet 220409.jpg
    Linnet 220409.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Linnet 300810.jpg
    Linnet 300810.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Many thanks for those photos, Phil. I'm sure they were Linnets that we have seen.
Inner Marsh is our 'local patch'. Have also seen some great birds on the walk through the army range.
Life is getting in the way of birding this week, family, death, divorce, it's all going on here but will get to IMF as soon as we can.
Very much appreciate your advise.
Jeanie

Have never been to Macclesfield forest but know Delamere quite well.
It's on the to do list now.
Many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back