• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 8x42 ? (1 Viewer)

jillbluebird

I am new to both birdwatching and binoculars and have done a fair amount of research as to what to buy. I have settled on 8x42...but would greatly appreciate some recomendations as to what 8x42.

Price is sadly a criteria and though I would love to go to a Zeiss FL, a Nikon LX or Premier, or a Leica Ultravid or perhaps a Swarovski EL: I think I would be wise to aim a little lower, being a newby. So apart from cost, my other main issues are to keep the weight down, as I have a partially disabled arm and to keep the eye relief up being a glasses wearer. Also I want a fairly speedy focus knob, not too stiff, but equally not 'too' quick, so making me spend ages using my duff arm trying to find the sweet spot.

Can anyone provide recomendations of new or older models in the mid price range that would foot the bill?

Thanks to all,

Easily the best 8x I have ever tried in the mid-price range were 8x32 RSPB bins at £299.

If I hadn't managed to find a secondhand pair of Leica 8x32s for just a bit more money, these were the ones I'd have gone for. I've tested the two pairs since, side by side, and don't think there's all that much in it to be honest.

In 99% of situations I don't think you'll notice the difference between 32 and 42 objective. I've never wanted bigger bins, and have done quite a lot of early / late birding in poor light. Plus, all things being equal, the 32s will be lighter.

Hope that helps - and sorry it I've just 'muddied the water'. If you've got your heart set on 42s then I'm sure someone will be along soon with a recommendation.

hornet said:
In 99% of situations I don't think you'll notice the difference between 32 and 42 objective. I've never wanted bigger bins, and have done quite a lot of early / late birding in poor light. Plus, all things being equal, the 32s will be lighter.

I agree. I suggest you try to look at Nikon 8x30 E2s: the view will knock you out, they are light and small, and you don't need that heavy 42 glass.

You didn't mention you budget, but you might be interested in the Opticron 8x42 High Resolution. Currently on offer at warehouseexpress for £139. They're light and have good eye-relief so you can see the whole field of view with glasses on. Optically they are excellent. I've had a pair for 17 years and still use them even though I've got more expensive binos now. If you can afford more, the special offer on Nikon 8x32 HG's is still on and they are fantastic value for more (I know you wanted an 8x42). Hope that helps !

I won't recommend my 8x42s because they're heavier (armored waterproof Minoltas), but since you said you're a newbie, I'd like to mention something about eyeglasses. You may not want to always wear them while using binoculars. Despite being badly nearsighted plus having astigmatisms and presbyopia, I can still see better through binoculars in daylight without eyeglasses than with, even with the generous eye relief and diopter adjustments my binoculars have for eyeglass wearers. Perhaps it's because the eyecups block out ambient light and make the image seem brighter and sharper, but I'm not really sure why. (This doesn't seem to work for stargazing, btw.)

I'm not suggesting you settle for binoculars with too little eye relief for your glasses, not at all. However, if you're trying in binoculars in stores, try them both with and without glasses to see how useful they'll be both ways. Have a salesperson show you how to set the diopter if you don't know. Going without your glasses, if possible, could help how your arm feels by the end of the day, and could make your eyes feel less strained too.

I strongly disagree with the advice not to wear glasses while using binoculars for those who are nearsighted and/or have astigmatism. You don't want to have to continually pop your glasses on and off as you try to find and follow moving birds if you are nearsighted, and astigmatism severely degrades image quality. A good wide-brimmed hat will solve the problem of keeping extraneous light under control. As far as arm fatigue goes, I don't see why holding binos against your glasses while you look through them is any less comfortable than holding eyecups against your eyesockets or brow while viewing--if anything, I prefer the former, and as a bonus, your oculars stay cleaner since they don't come into occasional contact with greasy eyelashes!
--AP

jillbluebird said:
I am new to both birdwatching and binoculars and have done a fair amount of research as to what to buy. I have settled on 8x42...but would greatly appreciate some recomendations as to what 8x42.

Price is sadly a criteria and though I would love to go to a Zeiss FL, a Nikon LX or Premier, or a Leica Ultravid or perhaps a Swarovski EL: I think I would be wise to aim a little lower, being a newby. So apart from cost, my other main issues are to keep the weight down, as I have a partially disabled arm and to keep the eye relief up being a glasses wearer. Also I want a fairly speedy focus knob, not too stiff, but equally not 'too' quick, so making me spend ages using my duff arm trying to find the sweet spot.

Can anyone provide recomendations of new or older models in the mid price range that would foot the bill?

Thanks to all,
I think Warehouse Express still have some of the stunning Nikon 8x42HGs at a silly price, perhaps even the 8x32s - these are also a wonderful birding binocular so I wouldn't feel tied to a larger pair because you'll hardly ever need the extra size. I spent the afternoon with my wife comparing my Swaro 8.5x42 with her new Leica Ultravids 10x25 and... you won't believe this, but really the new Leicas are a dream in every way to hold and use. Even in the late afternoon and in deep woodland they were extrordinarily bright and clear. The latest optics seem to defy the laws of physics. They weigh in at a third of the Swaros, too (and cost a third the price!).

Last edited:
jillbluebird said:

Thanks to all,
Look here, you might be in luck:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=42852

I think the guarantee is transferable, too.

I would agree with the Nikon HG 8x32s if they are still around for the price mentioned above. On the other hand, if they aren't and you really want the 8x42 combination then I think the Pentax DCF SP 8x43s would be an excellent choice. Price is usually between $500 and $600 US. If even that is a bit steep then possibly the Nikon Monarch 8x42s at around $300 US.

FrankD said:
I would agree with the Nikon HG 8x32s if they are still around for the price mentioned above. On the other hand, if they aren't and you really want the 8x42 combination then I think the Pentax DCF SP 8x43s would be an excellent choice. Price is usually between $500 and $600 US. If even that is a bit steep then possibly the Nikon Monarch 8x42s at around $300 US.

At the risk of confusing the issue let me add one to this list, provided you don't mind buying stateside. Just today I used a friends' Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class, 8x42. I was prepared to be disappointed, but I was terribly impressed with them. The image was exceptional for the price, which is now retail US $379.

Sailcat said:
If you can find a pair of Nikon Premier 8x42LX, you will be well served! good luck!

Walter

She said weight was a concern. These are one of the heavier 8x42 roofs available.

jillbluebird said:

Thanks to all,

Jill,

You will get many recommendations but you MUST visit your local shops and try out several models for yourself. I suggest you start with 8X32 models because they are lighter and generally more ergonomic. You will not believe the difference size and weight makes to your overall enjoyment of a binocular.

I also suggest not buying on the first or second visit. Take your time, examine as many models as you can, and then buy something you'll enjoy using. Above all else, trust your eyes.

Good luck.

John

FrankD said:
greetings,warehouse express currently have a pair of nikon HG 10+32 that are mail order return/as new for £299.not 8+42 agreed but still a fine pair of bins nonetheless,best of luck which ever you choose.matt

jillbluebird said:
my other main issues are to keep the weight down, as I have a partially disabled arm and to keep the eye relief up being a glasses wearer. Also I want a fairly speedy focus knob, not too stiff, but equally not 'too' quick, so making me spend ages using my duff arm trying to find the sweet spot.
You described many features of the Nikon 8x32HGs:
- Weight: as lightweight as the lightest 8x42s ;)
- Large, fast, smooth focus wheel
- Excellent eye relief, nice rubbery screw-in/out eyecups to be used with glasses

There seems to be one almost-new pair for sale by john barclay.

Ilkka

I would second the recommendation of the Nikon 8x30EII or SE, if waterproofing isn't necessary. Otherwise, the Nikon 8x32LX would be an excellent choice.

Walter

Last edited:
Iam a new birdforum member and I have been a optics buff for almost twenty years. I have owned all the top brands. Go and get a pair of Minolta 8x42D WP and you will be amazed at how much quality you will get for under $200(USA). They go head to head with my B&L Elites, Leicas and my Zeiss binos. Now Iam going to tell you why....I found out early that you usually get what you pay for, meaning more money better optics. Well thats the way it was from 1970-1990. With the advance in optics and manufacturing practices the big European brands are not the only ones making fine glass today. You should try out a new pair of binos before you buy...If they feel right and you enjoy the view buy them.

gcole said:
I have owned all the top brands. Go and get a pair of Minolta 8x42D WP and you will be amazed at how much quality you will get for under $200(USA).

I assume the new ones are Chinese. I bought a Japanese pair for my wife several years ago, and they are good enough that she sees little reason to upgrade.

I'd have to agree with John. Try as many out locally, don't buy, but think about the few that you liked. Come back later and see if you're opinions have changed or not.

On another note, I just examined a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30's and was rather impressed. A slight looking through a tube effect, but optically very nice. I can't say anything bad about them, and they sure were a step up from the B&L Discoverer roofs, or the Browning bins (which both are two of the nicer sub $350 bins that I've seen and liked).

Price might be a bit high, but there was a sale on them recently from several local distributors. Cost was around $429, so maybe you could squeeze a few dealers for a better than $599 price tag.

They were really light, and very compact, and aside from very slight CA (that was only noticable if you were specifically looking for CA), they were very bright, clear and crisp.

Curtis Croulet said:
I assume the new ones are Chinese. I bought a Japanese pair for my wife several years ago, and they are good enough that she sees little reason to upgrade.

I have a newer pair of Minolta 8x42 WP and the plate on them says "Philippines". I also seen no reason to upgrade, and with the 25 year warrantee they probably won't be falling apart soon. I love the 8.2° wide angle of view, but at 27 oz, thought they were heavier than what jillbluebird was looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back