• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (1 Viewer)

With a massive thanks to @Thotmosis for tipping me the wink on the supply, Jan van daalen for being the man with the plan and Wim de boer for removing an undesirable reticle I'm briefly enjoying a bit of 8x30 porro nirvana this morning before family life takes charge for the remainder of the day. Proper bird up scheduled for tomorrow morning on my usual schlep up and down the ivel valley. IMG_20231007_081950902_HDR.jpgIMG_20231007_082117367.jpgIMG_20231007_082137484_HDR.jpgIMG_20231007_082046854_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
With a massive thanks to @Thotmosis for tipping me the wink on the supply, Jan van daalen for being the man with the plan and Wim de boer for removing an undesirable reticle I'm briefly enjoying a bit of 8x30 porro nirvana this morning before family life takes charge for the remainder of the day. Proper bird up scheduled for tomorrow morning on my usual schlep up and down the ivel valley. View attachment 1536641View attachment 1536666View attachment 1536667View attachment 1536668

Beautiful pictures, Iā€™m really looking forward to your findings William!

Did some testing today myself.

IMG_5899.jpegIMG_5880.jpegIMG_5888.jpeg

Last edited:
You aren't/weren't a climber were you?
As i age, my cordage is slowly being repurposed... :p
that's pretty funny - same here. My climbing harness is used for home repair projects. My sailing lines are used to tie off dogs and to make handles for bags. Climbing ropes are great in the garden and fixing things to the roof of the car

Nothing quite so glamorous unfortunately, I use the ropes to winch/pull bits of tree the right way when I'm felling them for my gardening business but they don't make a bad mooring rope either.

This morning i woke up early before sunrise and i had a great time watching early birds with my Zeiss FL 7x42 from the house. Lovely bright and super sharp binocular with wide FOV and outstanding ergonomics.

If the rain stops i will take her with me today for a walk in de dunes/forest.

IMG_4112.jpeg.

I seldom find myself using my old porros at this time of the year, but the low November sun that fills the clouds with bright white light was making things very difficult when scanning southwards (where the birds I want to see are). I thought a low transmission binocular would be useful, like it can be on very bright sunny days in summer. The Zeiss West 10x50, which (unfortunately) has only 70% or so, was not really a perfect solution, but the coatings (inefficient by modern standards) did help to moderate the bright sun.

It's not the best, or even the easiest binocular to use - but I have to say when the conditions are right for this thing, it really is extremely satisfying to look through. There is a time in the afternoon where the sun lights up all the trees and everything looks incredible, and with the excellent field of view you get to take in a lot of it. I keep thinking I should sell it but ...

PXL_20231105_150214933.jpg
PXL_20231111_144323869.jpg

PXL_20231111_144205824.jpg

I keep thinking I should sell it but ...
It gets complicated. I do sometimes miss mine -- yet don't regret selling it, around thirty years ago now. "Not the best, or even the easiest binocular to use" is a great description, and even more true of the 15x60 (which I kept longer), at least the non-B version. I can still enjoy the memories.

I seldom find myself using my old porros at this time of the year, but the low November sun that fills the clouds with bright white light was making things very difficult when scanning southwards (where the birds I want to see are). I thought a low transmission binocular would be useful, like it can be on very bright sunny days in summer. The Zeiss West 10x50, which (unfortunately) has only 70% or so, was not really a perfect solution, but the coatings (inefficient by modern standards) did help to moderate the bright sun.

It's not the best, or even the easiest binocular to use - but I have to say when the conditions are right for this thing, it really is extremely satisfying to look through. There is a time in the afternoon where the sun lights up all the trees and everything looks incredible, and with the excellent field of view you get to take in a lot of it. I keep thinking I should sell it but ...

View attachment 1543647
View attachment 1543648

View attachment 1543649
I would keep it. I have a 15x60 B GAT and use it with great pleasure. I was thinking to get a Swarovski or Meopta 15x56 to replace it (didnt look through any of those jet though) but for my purposes this old pair works quite good. Itā€™s actually one of most favorite binoculars!

EDIT a picture of the Zeiss from last summer in Sweden. I like the combination of 7 and a 12 or 15x binoculars.

1700205038727.jpeg

Last edited:
My little son and I have just returned from an adventurous hike in the High Fen in Belgium (the area where I come from). We walked across moorland and down a fairy tale glen. Despite the fine rain and the dark skies the views of the autumn moorland and forests were brilliant. My son spotted a red stag through his Kowas (YF 6x30) and we also saw a few birds.

Attachments

• DSC_1127.JPG
    DSC_1127.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
My little son and I have just returned from an adventurous hike in the High Fen in Belgium (the area where I come from). We walked across moorland and down a fairy tale glen. Despite the fine rain and the dark skies the views of the autumn moorland and forests were brilliant. My son spotted a red stag through his Kowas (YF 6x30) and we also saw a few birds.
Is that a 32 or 42?

Thanks, nice pic. Family went to Europe this last month, Bruges won them over as the best place, they are going back in a few months. I am looking forward to the photos.

Nikon 8x32E2 for a quick walk down by the river, just looking at random stuff. Overcast, but nice bright,crisp views.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back