• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (4 Viewers)

Hello,

I am still trawling through my cupboard and found this binocular,
It’s like treasure island your cupboard. I have a Trinovid 7x42 and it’s a wonderful piece of art i think.
Also own a 7x42 UV and maybe brighter and whiter but the view is warmer and astonishing.

Yes they are JB56. I like these a lot, maybe need to start looking for a few others from the same manufacturer.
A few other gems are: JB22 (got a 7x50 and 7x35 EWA, both great), JB160 (Tasco #116, 7x35, 10.5° -- not quite as wide as other EWA 7x35s but a more balanced view when it comes to pincushion dist. and field curvature), JB191 ("Scope" 7x50 EWA with BaK4-prisms, awesome and very sharp), JB113 ("Adler" 7x35, 11° -- even better than the JB56), JB75 ("Luna Super" 8x30, 10° -- probably my favourites of all the 8x porros).

It’s like treasure island your cupboard. I have a Trinovid 7x42 and it’s a wonderful piece of art i think.
Also own a 7x42 UV and maybe brighter and whiter but the view is warmer and astonishing.
Hello,

Today, I retrieved another glass from the cupboard, a Leica 8x50BA, also purchased as new old stock. I took it bird watching today and I was quickly reminded of why I do not use it. It is so heavy that I have trouble holding it still and it is too burdensome for my morning walks. It has a nice feel to the focus and I suspect that it has Leica's well known glare control but today I enjoyed another overcast morning. I cannot fault its optics so if I mounted it on a monopod, it would probably do very nicely searching for planets in the evening dusk, which does not require my walking far.

Leica 8x50BA.JPG

I have two more Leica binoculars, in the cupboard, one fit for general bird watching, the other for long distances, and Bausch & Lomb binoculars, as old as I am. I have two nice Porro II binoculars made for navies but they are unsuitable for bird watching because of individual focussing.

Stay safe,
Arthur

A few other gems are: JB22 (got a 7x50 and 7x35 EWA, both great), JB160 (Tasco #116, 7x35, 10.5° -- not quite as wide as other EWA 7x35s but a more balanced view when it comes to pincushion dist. and field curvature), JB191 ("Scope" 7x50 EWA with BaK4-prisms, awesome and very sharp), JB113 ("Adler" 7x35, 11° -- even better than the JB56), JB75 ("Luna Super" 8x30, 10° -- probably my favourites of all the 8x porros).
Need to go and do some searches ;)

You just answered my question Philipp! The 'Hunters' show a remarkable resemblance to the Swift Audubon. Do you have any more information about them? I'm intrigued.

RB
Not really. "Hunter" is a rather generic name used by many different companies. I just stumbled upon this one while searching for wide angle 7x35s on ebay. The JB56 are easy to spot because of the shape of the arms of the ocular assembly. I also have an actual Swift 10x50, 8°, but it's in horrible shape. I managed to align it but would have to take it apart for cleaning all the prisms and lenses.
Basically whenever I see a 7x35, 11° or more, I snatch it if the price is right. Can't have enough of those EWAs. (The Tasco #116 only has 10.5° however.) IMG_20230628_140141.jpgIMG_20230628_140051.jpg

Today my 10x40 Hartmann Compact gets the chance to smell fresh air. Spotting crows and doves on the roof top and waiting until gray herons will pass like every evening on their way a small island in a pond inside a park few minutes away.

Attachments

• 20230628_195919.jpg
    20230628_195919.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
Leica 10x32 uv+ to watch a pair of greenfinch on trees in bright sunlight at the bottom of the garden. They seem wary birds but do come very close to the house to drink (from a large bowl with perching stones in front of a window) though only briefly.
The 10×32 are usually on hand to look at garden birds, but also regularly taken when we go out on day trips to the coast, to open gardens, or a drive up the dales.
I also keep Nikon 8x30 e2 downstairs as windowsill bins.
Must clean our windows!

Attachments

• 20230629_112547.jpg
    20230629_112547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Not today but yesterday. I used the 10x42s for looking out for eagles and the 8x32s for everything else. X0003986_small.jpg

It was a bit hazy that morning and the photo of the eagle looks rather poor. It is a far cry from what I saw through the 10x42 Ultras. Contrast and resolution were much better in the binoculars. I think the 10x42s are particularly good on dull and misty days. BTW the eagle was about 400m away, the photo was taken with a 500mm lens and the image is cropped.
In the afternoon I watched barn swallows hunting insects at the beach and at the shore of the Baltic. 8x32s.
N03_3891small.jpgN03_3338small.jpg

Took the Victory FL 8x42's to the East coast yesterday, first chance to post. Blowing a gale even though it doesn't look that way. Quite a few bramblings fighting the wind.

Attachments

• IMG-20230701-WA0000-01.jpeg
    IMG-20230701-WA0000-01.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 16
Hawke Endurance ED 8x25 on a family walk with my granddaughters
Nothing too wonderful to report, other than a plethora of freshly fledged Blue Tits, Coal Tits and Great Tits moving around in a mixed feeding flock

Hello,

Before the Zeiss Victory FL was introduced, the Leica 8x32BN was my favourite, replacing an 8x32SE, which I found unfriendly. Mine is about twenty years old and lacked a dilectric coating of the mirrored surfaces. I have been assured that the silver mirror surfaces are well protected. The BN's in this colour was basically a shop demonstration unit and the purchaser had time to have a trial. Someone interested in this glass could sign a pro forma purchase. If potential buyer did not like the binocular, returning the glass would cancel the purchase. If it was satisfactory, a new binocular could be purchased. It it was never returned, the sale was processed.
This is a fine, solidly built binocular, of well known reliability but FL glass and lighter weight of the Zeiss FL proved more attractive.

Leica BN.jpeg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back