• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Camera Strap With Sigma 500mm Lens? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy

Upstanding Member
Hi,
I do most of my wildlife photography with a Canon 40D and a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 lens. I often carry the camera over my shoulder using the Canon strap supplied with the camera. It's not very comfortable, so I'm looking for a better strap; preferably one with quick release, so I can get the strap out of the way when using a tripod, etc. I'm thinking of something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294 - but (like the Amazon reviewer) not sure about the safety of the quick-release catches and whether they are strong enough to hold the weight of my 500mm lens.
So, what camera straps do you use with your long, heavy lenses?
Cheers,

Hi Jeremy, are you carrying the combo via the camera strap - if so would you not be better carrying via the lens strap. Although I always carried my 400/5.6 via the camera strap I would not do so with my 300/2.8 which is lighter than the siggy 500.

You've all got me thinking as to whether it's safe to carry a big,(120-300 2.8 & 150-500 6.3 on the camera strap. My 350d is plastic anyway. I've looked at the spec and there is a strap but I thought is was for the lens case. sigma could have made the case big enough to hold a camera mounted on the lens. A Lowepro 75 AW looks good but is not big enough for either lens plus camera. I wonder if a tripod strap would suffice.

For what it's worth (two months later), I use a home made version of the Blackrapid R-Strap. I like the way the camera hangs comfortably at my side or behind me, always ready. Google "diy r-strap" to see how to make one.

As Mike says, I've started becoming concerned about the heavy lens not supported though.

Bought a couple of meters of inch wide webbing and a couple of buckles from a local outdoor shop for about £1.70, a cheap and secure lens strap

I wouldn't use the camera strap with that lens attached - It is far too heavy and you will eventually run into trouble with the electrical connectors between camera/lens. Put the strap onto the lens. These are very comfortable on the shoulder....

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~ProductID~5946.html

Regards
Mike.

Can only agree, especially in cold weather the camera shows the no lens attached error because the weight of the lens is carried through the connectors and not directly by the lens body.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back