• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which Hide clamp for Velbon travel tripod? (1 Viewer)

lightning gray

Hi

I own a Velbon Delta Travel Tripod which has a PH-237Q head, and was wondering if anyone out there has managed to use the centre column in any kind of hide clamp. The column is only 18mm diameter so this poses a problem as most centre columns seem to be 22mm and larger.

The Opticron Universal II looks the closest but not sure if it is suitable or if you can remove the centre column that comes with it.

Its the usual dilemma of tripod versus hide clamp choice. I own a larger Velbon Tripod with the HC-1 Hide Clamp and this works fine but having just downsized my scope to the excellent Nikon ED-50 I am now going down the route of saving weight and trying to bring togehter a complete weight saving package.

Help!

I have a Velbon travel tripod, though on mine the centre column does not easily come out (it was the InFocus travel tripod at the time). My solution was to get a second Velbon head from In Focus and attach it to a Culman hide clamp. This cost a total of around £50 though, but it is dead easy as the quick release plates are the same (obviously). The Culman is a superb pice of kit, really flexible in use, and the little Velbon head is quite smooth in operation.

My problem is that I have also got a carbon fibre tripod with a 17mm centre column, where can I get a hide clamp that goes that small, or am I going to have to get another Culman and another head (in this case a Manfrotto 390) to use in a hide?

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back