• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which macro lens - Nikon (2 Viewers)

I have to give support for the Sigma 150 APO f/2.8 Macro. IMO, this lens is as sharp and as well built and any Nikon macro lens, and I own two Nikon macros.

The reasoning behind this choice is that it's the longest macro lens with a 2.8 maximum aperture. Everything else around that focal length is 3.5 or 4. It has HSM so it's very fast focusing with a nice 3 way limiter. Now add an all metal construction with a very good tripod collar and you have a winner. Not only that, but it's one of the few 3rd party macro lenses that reviews as good as any manufacturers lens, often better.

Another real advantage is that it also doubles as a nice short fast tele for non-macro use. It's one of the few macros that seems to perform at a distance as well as close up. What that means is that this lens can serve double duty. Also, as soon as you see the wonderful buttery bokeh, you'll be using it as a long portrait lens.

The only downside is that this lens is somewhat expensive, but you really get what you pay for here and considering all the extra duties it can perform, it's a bargain.

Unfortunately due to falling on some ice and landing on my D300 (smashing the monitor inside) I am no longer in a position to splash out on a new lens. I've bought myself a D60 as a back-up (what a stupidly tiny camera!) and to use while the D300 is being repaired. And I'll have the cost of the repair as well.

Thanks anyway for all your input - i'll start saving again!

Took the plunge and bought the Sigma 150mm - before the price goes up! Only had it an hour but tried it with the Kenko and it seems to work OK - even in the fading light. Build quality seems excellent and focussing is rapid. Not had chance to test image quality - need better light. So far looks like a good choice though.

Took the plunge and bought the Sigma 150mm - before the price goes up! Only had it an hour but tried it with the Kenko and it seems to work OK - even in the fading light. Build quality seems excellent and focussing is rapid. Not had chance to test image quality - need better light. So far looks like a good choice though.

Good luck with the new lens. I love mine and can't wait for the creepy crawlies to come out again. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back