• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-eyes, Krabi, Thailand (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Yesterday. auriventer Oriental White-eye? In some shots there appears to be no yellow above the bill. The two birds remained completely still for ages in mangroves and I couldn't make out any yellow ventral stripe perhaps due to the angle.

Attachments

• white-eye_28feb19_1024w_3732.jpg
    white-eye_28feb19_1024w_3732.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 139
I think this would be the race erwini of Swinhoe's. The name auriventer is now given to Hume's (formerly Everett's) White-eye.

That sent me down a rabbit hole. So erwini is the coastal mangrove taxon and is now placed in Z. simplex which looks to be included with Japanese White-eye (Z. japonicus) on a lot of the lists I'm seeing as the simplex/hainanus group. But erwini has also recently been included in auriventer as Z. auriventer (Hume's White-eye), which before that was in Oriental White-eye (Z. palpebrosus auriventer). That's nice and clear then(!)

That sent me down a rabbit hole. So erwini is the coastal mangrove taxon and is now placed in Z. simplex which looks to be included with Japanese White-eye (Z. japonicus) on a lot of the lists I'm seeing as the simplex/hainanus group. But erwini has also recently been included in auriventer as Z. auriventer (Hume's White-eye), which before that was in Oriental White-eye (Z. palpebrosus auriventer). That's nice and clear then(!)

The new arrangement takes a bit of processing! Z.japonicus is now in Warbling White-eye, along with much of what was Mountain White-eye. Lots of changes with the African ones too :smoke::smoke:

AFAIK the name erwini was resurrected to replace auriventer, which is now assigned to Hume's, formerly known as Everett's. Everett's becomes a Philippines endemic. Simple really!

AFAIK the name erwini was resurrected to replace auriventer, which is now assigned to Hume's, formerly known as Everett's. Everett's becomes a Philippines endemic. Simple really!

So to slightly hi-jack this thread.... is there somewhere I can read up on this? What's the end result for my list of previously having Japanese WE from Japan, Everett's from penninsula Malaysia and Oriental from Singapore?

So to slightly hi-jack this thread.... is there somewhere I can read up on this? What's the end result for my list of previously having Japanese WE from Japan, Everett's from penninsula Malaysia and Oriental from Singapore?

I think your birds are likely to translate into Warbling, Hume's and Swinhoe's in the order you wrote them. Check ranges of subspp within spp by going to IOC bird list, then family index then zosteropidae , but this may possibly not take into account non-breeding ranges(?)

Just returned from Thailand where I saw on Doi Inthanon groups of Chestnut-sided White-eye together with what used to be called Japanese White-eye.

So now I'm wondering if these Japanese White-eyes (on Doi Inthanon, quite high elevation) were Warbling or Swinhoe White-eyes? Or can it be a mix of both?

I'm really confused and cannot find much information about the differences and distribution

Just returned from Thailand where I saw on Doi Inthanon groups of Chestnut-sided White-eye together with what used to be called Japanese White-eye.

So now I'm wondering if these Japanese White-eyes (on Doi Inthanon, quite high elevation) were Warbling or Swinhoe White-eyes? Or can it be a mix of both?

I'm really confused and cannot find much information about the differences and distribution

They would have been Swinhoe's White-eyes Z. s. simplex which winters in the region and in the north of Thailand is the most frequently encountered White-eye >1,000m. For new taxonomic arrangements see https://www.worldbirdnames.org/bow/sylvias/ simplex winters SE China S to Thailand and C Indochina.

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back