• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are Meopta's so hard to sell? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Supporter
I have been trying to sell a pair of LNIB Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 8x32 binoculars for months without any success. Is the resale that bad on Meopta's? I have sold a lot of binoculars before, but they are without a doubt the hardest binocular to sell I have ever experienced. You don't even get any low ball offers like you do on other binoculars. I can sell a Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica for $2K in a week and Nikon's like the MHG and E2 will sell very easily, but Meopta's just sit there with no takers.

Last edited:
Meopta makes good optics, afaik they even made some of the Leica spotting scopes, but they really don't have a corresponding US profile.
That plus the reports last year that they were getting out of the sports optics business may be relevant factors.
No idea however whether the latter is indeed true, but it was discussed here on BF.

Simple: brand recognition and panache. Your friends will see you and think they are off-brand walmart binos. Grab some swaros or zeiss and everyone will be impressed.

Dennis, maybe it's because your inbox is full? When I click your name, I don't have the option to "start conversation".

combo of post holiday season and inflation may not be helping your sale.
Could be, but I just sold some Zeiss HT 8x54, Vortex Razor HD 12x50 and a Fujinon FMTR 10x50 in a week with no problem. The Fujinon sold in a 1/2 hour. I had the Meopta's for sale weeks before Christmas and it didn't make any difference. I think it is like Etudiant and MiddleRiver say Meopta has very little US presence and brand recognition.

Last edited:
I don't understand it. Meoptas are top of their game, some disagree with me, but they are alpha in my eyes.
Very Leica HD+ in their view and build quaility.
They also supply glass to one or more of the top 3.
They are just crap at marketing.
The B1 got 'best of the best' 10 years ago in a bino test.
More people should try these things (y)

Last edited:
I think Meopta suffers from a lack of brand recognition, partially through very poor marketing and partially through very limited distribution both in the US and UK (trying to find a UK dealer is beyond difficult). They also offer binoculars over a wide price range which can hurt the perception of their top end offerings.

A few things.... First, Meopta's as others have stated, have no name recognition for 'birders' here in the states. It is a hunting binocular or so it appears, as Cabella's markets the same B1 line to hunters. It is a good thing you have them on eBay for you might gain hunters.

Second...when you had your pair on this site in Dec for sale, as I recall you were offering them for around $1000. Well, I can go to Sports Optics now and find the same B1 Plus model (with the Euro 16% discount they offer) for a price of around $929. So you were over-priced to begin with.

The price to sell a used pair of Meopta's isn't that much different from a new pair of Swaro's or a Conquest, or a Leica Trini's...all alpha name recognition and people who will spend >$1000 would consider those alphas prior to a Meopta.

in terms of selling used bins....I had difficulty selling a 8x30 MHG in perfect condition. I had issues selling my SLC years and years ago, as well as my 8x42 HT. They key is just waiting for that one person who wants a deal. Frequently I am not in the market and see great buys, (such as your current Meopta's) but I am not in the market, or too bad they are not the 10x32's in my case. So just wait it out.

I think what might be hurting Meopta now is the guessing game if they are even going to be in business. Who wants a useless warranty for the same hard earned dollars one can place upon a company that they know will be in business. Maybe Leica will purchase Meopta, or Swaro or Zeiss but even if they do, who is to say they will continue to produce a product that is not needed.

Also....as someone mentioned, there was no way to contact you (pm).... so either clean up your box or set it up correctly. jim

A few things.... First, Meopta's as others have stated, have no name recognition for 'birders' here in the states. It is a hunting binocular or so it appears, as Cabella's markets the same B1 line to hunters. It is a good thing you have them on eBay for you might gain hunters.

Second...when you had your pair on this site in Dec for sale, as I recall you were offering them for around $1000. Well, I can go to Sports Optics now and find the same B1 Plus model (with the Euro 16% discount they offer) for a price of around $929. So you were over-priced to begin with.

The price to sell a used pair of Meopta's isn't that much different from a new pair of Swaro's or a Conquest, or a Leica Trini's...all alpha name recognition and people who will spend >$1000 would consider those alphas prior to a Meopta.

in terms of selling used bins....I had difficulty selling a 8x30 MHG in perfect condition. I had issues selling my SLC years and years ago, as well as my 8x42 HT. They key is just waiting for that one person who wants a deal. Frequently I am not in the market and see great buys, (such as your current Meopta's) but I am not in the market, or too bad they are not the 10x32's in my case. So just wait it out.

I think what might be hurting Meopta now is the guessing game if they are even going to be in business. Who wants a useless warranty for the same hard earned dollars one can place upon a company that they know will be in business. Maybe Leica will purchase Meopta, or Swaro or Zeiss but even if they do, who is to say they will continue to produce a product that is not needed.

Also....as someone mentioned, there was no way to contact you (pm).... so either clean up your box or set it up correctly. jim
Jim. All good points. I believe you are correct about Meopta's being more targeted for hunter's. Probably the 8x32 is not a popular format for hunters who prefer 10x42's usually. You're right that sometimes you have to wait for that one person to come along that is looking for a deal on a Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 8x32. They do a Google search for that binocular and look for the best deal, and your eBay ad pops up, and they are sold. If nobody wants a Meostar at this point in time, the lowest price in the world isn't going to motivate them to buy them.

Meopta simply has no traditional name here in Europe and especially in Germany.

When in doubt, the vast majority of people will opt for a Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski.
The same fate shared with Nikon, that EDG is more of an internet chimera, hardly anyone has ever used one.
I think it is very difficult for other manufacturers to gain a foothold here, the big three are emptying the market.

Andreas

Other than the basic Monarch, I have never seen any Nikon EDG in action/ in the field, or even the current MHG's....

Dennis...hang in there. I have a Meostar 8x32 and feel it is one of the best bins out there. I like you included the Leica eye-cups too. Turn it into the 10x32 and most likely I would have snapped it up. Do you feel your version of the 8x32 has a nice focus wheel and is smooth, or is it clunky? jim

I don't understand it. Meoptas are top of their game, some disagree with me, but they are alpha in my eyes.
Very Leica HD+ in their view and build quaility.
They also supply glass to one or more of the top 3.
They are just crap at marketing.
The B1 got 'best of the best' 10 years ago in a bino test.
More people should try these things (y)
...nuff said.

Jim. All good points. I believe you are correct about Meopta's being more targeted for hunter's. Probably the 8x32 is not a popular format for hunters who prefer 10x42's usually. You're right that sometimes you have to wait for that one person to come along that is looking for a deal on a Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 8x32. They do a Google search for that binocular and look for the best deal, and your eBay ad pops up, and they are sold. If nobody wants a Meostar at this point in time, the lowest price in the world isn't going to motivate them to buy them.
I tried to contact you as well. Also had sent you email on these Meoptas.

Paul

I agree with much of the above. Very Leica-ish optics. BUT.....while optically they are great....they aren't generally the most aesthetically pleasing binocular on the block. And some models are a little heavy for the class and sometimes FOV is on the low end. But the 8X32 is one of their best models IMO.

From an optical perspective, (and I am very happy with a 7.8 degree FOV) both the 7X42 and 8X42 B1s are excellent glass, better than many out there. I obtained the B1 Plus in 8X32 not too long ago and it is small like the FL and the optics are premium IMO, - (Waiting for a pair of those eye cups, however I have become used to the ergonomics of the eye cups). THEY ARE A STEAL AT $700 IMO.

From an optical perspective, (and I am very happy with a 7.8 degree FOV) both the 7X42 and 8X42 B1s are excellent glass, better than many out there. I obtained the B1 Plus in 8X32 not too long ago and it is small like the FL and the optics are premium IMO, - (Waiting for a pair of those eye cups, however I have become used to the ergonomics of the eye cups). THEY ARE A STEAL AT $700 IMO.
I agree. The only thing the NL 8x32 has on them is the bigger FOV and sharper edges, but it is $2500. It takes forever to get a pair of those UVHD 10x42 eye cups from Leica. I screwed around with them for two months, trying to get a pair. They kept asking me for a S/N of my Leica and I kept trying to explain I didn't have a Leica and the eye cups were for a Meopta. The Leica eye cups really do help if you have larger eye sockets, though, and they fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back