• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do some birds sing at night? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Why do birds sing at night. I've noticed mockingbirds occasionally put on a real concert in the middle of the night.-Why?

Hi,

If you're focusing on mockingbirds, there are several reasons why they'll sing at night. One of the reasons is that they were disturbed. It's possible that a strong wind could've knocked the sleeping bird off the branch, or a heavy rainfall might've woken it up. Another reason is the predators. A stray cat attempting to sneak upon a mockingbird nest will cause them to sing aloud in order to warn others. Another reason could be that your neighborhood might have bright street lamps during night. Mockingbirds might mistake the lamps for daylight, and will immediately began calling out for territory, even though it's night.

Tim

Many songbirds migrate at night, and therefore many also vocalize while doing so. This is now a topic of research to 'count' migrating song birds by song at night. A lonely Mockingbird will sing for a mate long into the night after the robin (which is quite the late talker and very very early morning singer) and cardinal go to bed.
shelley

My mockingbirds also sings at night quite often. In fact, visiting family from Honolulu say between the birds, frogs and bugs they can't sleep. The mockingbirds must only need a few hours of sleep or they take turns singing from the top of my chimney because they are almost a constant background sound.

I have a cherries in my trees right now and it is fun to watch him try to chase off the Oreole and the others. The oreole is pretty persistent and leaves my yard each year after the cherries are gone in June. He is probably after the wild blackberries that will follow in July.

buckskin hawk said:
My mockingbirds also sings at night quite often. In fact, visiting family from Honolulu say between the birds, frogs and bugs they can't sleep. The mockingbirds must only need a few hours of sleep or they take turns singing from the top of my chimney because they are almost a constant background sound.

I have a cherries in my trees right now and it is fun to watch him try to chase off the Oreole and the others. The oreole is pretty persistent and leaves my yard each year after the cherries are gone in June. He is probably after the wild blackberries that will follow in July.

Here in Britain, birds that are normally day-singers have been seen and heard singing under artificial light at night - e.g. European Robins, European Blackbirds. The most famous night singer, Nightingale, in fact can sing anytime throughout the twenty-four hours, but they sound amazing at night.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back