• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (17 Viewers)

Since this thread already is totally wrecked, allow me to be a little patriotic.
vop mentioned Olaus Rudbeck. There were two of them, and the younger (the son) had Carl von Linné as his student.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaus_Rudbeck_the_younger

In the text, his bird paintings are mentioned.
I have a life-size facsimile book and portfolio made after them, and they are truly beautiful. Those days, the bird was shot and pictured very quickly in order to mimic the vivid and natural colors of the living bird.

His father wrote the nationalistic epos "Atlantica", and like vop writes, the ideas are really far out, although the work confirms he was a true universal genius.

Since this thread already is totally wrecked, allow me to be a little patriotic.
vop mentioned Olaus Rudbeck. There were two of them, and the younger (the son) had Carl von Linné as his student.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaus_Rudbeck_the_younger

In the text, his bird paintings are mentioned.
I have a life-size facsimile book and portfolio made after them, and they are truly beautiful. Those days, the bird was shot and pictured very quickly in order to mimic the vivid and natural colors of the living bird.

His father wrote the nationalistic epos "Atlantica", and like vop writes, the ideas are really far out, although the work confirms he was a true universal genius.

Yes, I also have that one. Many of the pictures are nice, but most of the passerines have some kind of swift-like body, and the owls makes you laugh all night!

:-O

I was in Dublin today (another city founded by valiant Viking explorers), and one of the few camera shops that sell high-end binos has started stocking Nikon EDG. I tried the EDG 8x32, and just to show that they're only binos and one size doesn't fit all, I didn't like the handling. Kind of weighty and clunky, but not in a nice Trinoviddy-way, rather a compromise between open-bridge and closed that doesn't really work for me, as I couldn't use them "one-hand" comfortably. Great optics, although I had nothing with me to compare. And the Dublin retail price-tag? 1,700 euro, which is about 2,300 dollars. For that kind of money, I'd expect a degree from Uppsala University;).

Thanks Lars for that link. I just can not imagine what it took to sail across there. :) One word comes to mind, Brave!

They didn't do it in one go.

Erik the Red, who was outlawed in Norway and went to Iceland. From there he sailed west and "discovered" Greenland. He settled there, and later his son Leif Eriksson went farther west and "discovered" America.

I bet they were brave though! I'll drink some mead to that! B :)

I read in some book about the Vikings that the Normans were Vikings/Norseman that had invaded France around 1000 C.E. , then hung out in and took up the local language, and ended up conquering England a bit later....

Ah, yep, here is a map of their settlement. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Viking_Expansion.svg

The Normans were lucky, if King Harold had not had to fight the Norwegian Viking army at Stamford Bridge, a battle he won, crushing King Harald Hardrada's army. A victory that came to symbolise the end of the Viking age, Harold would of won at Hastings.

Still your starting to go off topic with all this history!!!?:king:

I told you the way to end the troll was to keep feeding it nonsense... ;)

By the way, how many thinks the thread started better than this? :h?:

I was in Dublin today (another city founded by valiant Viking explorers), and one of the few camera shops that sell high-end binos has started stocking Nikon EDG. I tried the EDG 8x32, and just to show that they're only binos and one size doesn't fit all, I didn't like the handling. Kind of weighty and clunky, but not in a nice Trinoviddy-way, rather a compromise between open-bridge and closed that doesn't really work for me, as I couldn't use them "one-hand" comfortably. Great optics, although I had nothing with me to compare. And the Dublin retail price-tag? 1,700 euro, which is about 2,300 dollars. For that kind of money, I'd expect a degree from Uppsala University;).

You could probably buy one for 2,300 dollars like VOP did.

Back to the original question, "WHY does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world?", it would seem the answer is: "Because they can, and with a view to profit". Enough said?

Unfortunately I'm not in the position to determine whether the built-in postulate of the title is correct.
Making such a statement in a question may lead things in the wrong direction. It's like asking: "Have you ceased beating your wife, Yes or No?" where "Yes" means you actually have beaten her before and "No" means you still do. No room for "I never did!"!

While the EDG and SE lines definitely are up there with the top and possibly are the best, one can still argue that they are not perfect. Ideal and perfect aren't synonyms. Although one can admit that a set of binoculars aren't perfect (without any fault or any objectionable feature), they may still be ideal.

For many, an 8x42 is the ideal binocular configuration. For me it's a 6-7x and a 10x. Those two are more ideal/closer to perfect than one single bin, but the downside is that I don't always carry both. Then sometimes, carrying one, the other would have been the better in that given situation.
You can make a great pick from every maker, provided you know what configuration you're after, if you wear spectacles or not, if you're hawking or chasing warblers in the forest et cetera.

It's a waste of time to argue whether the EDG line is the world's best binoculars or not.
Undeniably, they're a strong contender.
If the postulate means that Nikon has a very strong and affordable alternative at just about every price level, I might agree, even though Vortex are strong as well.
Vortex abandoned the clockwise focuser with the discontinuation of the Fury line, and Nikon should decide what direction to use. The clockwise EDG focuser is appealing to me.

//L

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back