• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why don't more birders use the Opticron DBAs? (1 Viewer)

Blincodave

We all accept that Leica, Swaro, Nikon and Zeiss binos are top of the tree. But why don't more of us buy the Opticron DBAs? They are claimed to be excellent optically. They are lightweight, have excellent eye-relief and offer a considerable cost saving over the elite models?

Anybody have any experience of them or are we just too fashion conscious??

Dave

Not wanting to upset DBA owners but I tried them out and thought they were plain awful, tremendous amount of CA, felt heavy and uncomfortable and had a yellow cast (could have just been a wrong 'un) so that might have something to do with it! don't think it's a fashoin thing, my previous bins were Opticron 8x42HR's which were excellent and really good value for money, in fact I almost bought another pair.
Just my opinion of course other people may think they are great.

M N Reeder said:
At £649 they're almost as much as a pair of Leica's, and I know which I'd rather have round my neck.

Mark

You'd have been done then they're 599. Well that's what I was quoted this morning.

Nick - I was viewing the the DBA's alongside some HG x32's this morning and didn't find much in it. I tried the 42's by comparison and they were obviously better but I'm not convinced that they were £300 better than the DBA's or the x32, I'd be tempted to put that to the scope budget. I was intrigued by the guy(in another post) who got some HG's a while back and said they were awful because I thought they were excellent.

I'm reminded of a top gear test years ago when they made some folk test an unbadged skoda they loved it until they knew what it was.

My advice would be to try them and see how they compare. One of the things this site proves is that virtually no two birders can agree on any two bins, scopes etc.

Last edited:
I guess it really does come down to personal choice. i love my Leica 8x32's and my Opticron 10x42HiRes but my wife hates them both prefering her Swift Plovers which personally I just cannot use.

People say the Swarovski's are the 'best' but to my mind I much prefer the Leica's - just personal choice.

I'd say if they suit you then they're the ones to get.

I was going on the price in this months Birding World. Even at £599, they're are only £10 cheaper than my Leica's.

Mark

I'm sure that the DBAs are great bins, but look at the comparative 2nd hand prices of top rank bins vs Opticron. From what I recall Zeiss et al hold prices well (assuming good condition) whereas lesser breeds tend be much less valuable.

John

The DBA's are great bins. My wife has had a pair for almost 5 years now, has used them extensively all around Europe and loves them. The engineering appears to be standing the test of time. I might add also that she is in no way conscious of which badge she is wearing and chose them in preference to any of 'the' makes.

I personally am a bit of a Nikon diehard (she ignores my bleating) but have to admit that the DBA's are light, handle well and most importantly are optically superb. They do not suit me personally however as I like to shove the eyecups right into my eye sockets and experience blackout with them.

In defence of Opticron, I think that John may be a little off the mark regarding resale in respect particularly of the DBA's. They are starting to reach the s/h shelf now and I have seen two well used pairs for sale in dealers this last week for £460 and £485. My wife paid £599 for hers 5 yrs ago and this rate of depreciation is no greater than I would have expected with other top line optics.

On the basis of what we have learned, try the DBA's and if you like 'em, buy 'em.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back