• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why would you buy a Zeiss HT over an SF? (1 Viewer)

............ We just a complaint on Zeiss warranties and customer service and we are exploring it to see if it is valid. I like the Zeiss SF and I have already made that apparent but customer support is very important also.

From what I have read of the above problem, the issue seems to be with the retailer.

After following the Swaro and Zeiss sub forums for several years now, I have concluded both offer excellent customer service. Since you post in all the forums, I am sure you have read the same posts I have.

I thought as a way to refresh your memory on some of these posts, I would scroll through the index to find one. It did not take long. Here is one on page one of the Zeiss index page:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=312847

One thing I like about Zeiss USA over Swaro NOA is that Zeiss explicitly states what they will do in writing. They state that the warranty is a life time warranty which is transferable. They also offer in writing a 5 year no fault policy to the original owner of Victory or Conquest products if the binocular is registered within a certain time period. Swaro warrantly documentation is not near as explicit. It appears much of what they do is under good will coverage.

Bottom line is that at least here in the US (which is your market area) both are excellent. I have zero reservations on buying either a Zeiss or Swaro product based on customer service concerns.

From the Zeiss USA webpage (No Fault tab):

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...support/customer-service.html#no-fault-policy

ZEISS No-Fault Policy

Every product we make is backed by an industry leading, limited lifetime, transferable warranty. In addition, on selected products we offer a No-Fault Policy. For these products we will repair or replace product damaged during normal and intended use, without charge to you, for the first five years of ownership. We want you to buy our products with the same kind of confidence they inspire in the field.

The No-Fault Policy applies to:

•VICTORY SF binoculars
•VICTORY HT binoculars
•CONQUEST HD binoculars

Last edited:

......It did, however, take Zeiss almost a year to send me a replacement Zeiss badge that had fallen off a Terra. Zeiss did offer to replace the entire binoc. but I thought that was overkill and decided to just wait. The badge was not a stocked item, as it is likely something rarely replaced.

What was real overkill was the packaging for the badge, see below. Badge on left, packing on right!

The blue badge fell off my 8x42 Terra 6 months or more in the past.

I haven't contacted Zeiss about it. Maybe I should do it just to notify them it might be a QC problem?

Bob

The Zeiss Blue badge also came off of my 10X42 Terra a few days after it arrived near the end of last summer. The binocular arrived on a day when the temp was about 110 F (43.3 C) so the temp in the brown delivery truck must have been much higher. I figured the heat got to the badge adhesive.

When contacting Zeiss USA for a new blue badge, they told me they were aware some were having a problem and the issue was being fixed. In the meantime, they sent out a new badge and it arrived in about 5 days. I think it was in an envelope, no oversized box.

James .... What did you use for an adhesive with the replacement? I tried CA but I used a touch to much and some got on the badge. I did find the original after contacting Zeiss for a new one, so I may see if I can remove the one with the CA and try something else.

Bruce,

I used a tiny dab of lock-tite - so far, so good.

BTW - good on you for getting your badge in a week, and better that they considered their carbon footprint a bit more than my delivery!

Swarovski were giving away those little lens cloths that stuff into a pouch to advertise the ATX scopes. They should offer more of like those...

Free replacement items from Swaro, Zeiss and Leica.
Let's conclude that it is a non issue;)

Jan

Attachments

• L1010286.JPG
    L1010286.JPG
    685.2 KB · Views: 73
  • L1010287.JPG
    L1010287.JPG
    704 KB · Views: 83
Free replacement items from Swaro, Zeiss and Leica.
Let's conclude that it is a non issue;)

Jan
Are those Zeiss SF's free? :-OIf so I will take one. No, I really think Zeiss and Swarovski are both fantastic companies and have excellent customer service and warranties. I would not let that sway my decision for one or the other. Either one is pretty darn good. Any more reasons why an HT would be better for birding than an SF?:smoke:

Last edited:
Are those Zeiss SF's free? If so I will take one. No, I really think Zeiss and Swarovski are both fantastic companies and have excellent customer service and warranties. I would not let that sway my decision for one or the other. Either one is pretty darn good. Any more reasons why an HT would be better for birding than an SF?

Dennis,

The word says it all. REPLACEMENT.
You have to buy one first8-P

Jan

yes, they don't break when they fall.

PM

Anything will break if you drop it the 'wrong' way and onto the 'wrong' surface from the 'wrong' height.

Drawing conclusions based on undocumented situations like accidents where the full facts are not known is unlikely to be wise.

Lee

PM

Anything will break if you drop it the 'wrong' way and onto the 'wrong' surface from the 'wrong' height.

Drawing conclusions based on undocumented situations like accidents where the full facts are not known is unlikely to be wise.

Lee

true reports on this problem is one thing, from te first moment i saw the SF i tought , those bridges are very thin !

true reports on this problem is one thing, from te first moment i saw the SF i tought , those bridges are very thin !

Zeiss use a magnesium alloy that contains spider silk in the SF,
so it's stronger than it looks...when dropped it will just flex a bit
and return to the original state...

SF does actually mean "Spider Flexible"

But don't tell Swarovski about this, it's top-secret.
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back