• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Isles - BBC (3 Viewers)

It seems the BBC series is five programmes but there is a sixth funded by/produced for the RSPB and WWF that was never planned as part of the main series but the BBC will have it on iPlayer.
So today's outrage, based on a Telegraph article it seems, is a little off the mark.
Is it? Why would an independent BBC Natural History Unit not make and broadcast such a programme?

I look forward to the inception of the GB News Natural History Unit..... :ROFLMAO:

John

Oh WOW!!

We saw a smallish pod off Fair Isle at the South Light. That was exciting enough... but to see and get a picture such as that must have pleased you no end!!

Great action you've captured. Well done.

The thermal footage of the Starlings and the hunting Barn Owl was spectacular, some of the best footage I've ever seen.

I also loved the extended footage of the Honey Buzzards, showing the chicks growing up and even eating the wasp grubs.

The Capercaillie lek was superb, as was the nest footage of the Honey Buzzard chicks.
I could have done without the intertwined slug penises - yuck.

The Capercaillie lek was superb, as was the nest footage of the Honey Buzzard chicks.
I could have done without the intertwined slug penises - yuck.
News that there is a foot long slug on Dartmoor surprised me - move over Hound of the Baskervilles....

The HB nest cam was terrific and I found the totally white head of the juvenile startling - never really seen that in the field.

John

I enjoyed it too. If I have a criticism it's only that there was too much (for my taste) of males battling each other, with what was supposed to be "thrilling" music. Not only the usual stags, but seals, capercaillies, black grouse, even butterflies ...
I suppose someone at the Beeb thinks that's what the average punter wants from a natural history program, but is it really ?
But yes, it was a very good little series, and some of the filming was unique.

Some excellent footage - shows what can be done when the BBC puts forth its talent and kit closer to home. I just wish the Beeb had had the courage to address the reasons for some of those declines ("such and such creature or habitat has decreased by xx%" was a constant refrain) in more detail.

I like it so far.

A minor thing: why does the scene jump from snowdrops to the orchid of summer and back to spring bluebells? And then, an ant colony starting life in the early spring... with fledged little owls. Come on, stick to seasons ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back