• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild life feeding advice, please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
Guys
I have a dilemma.
I have the honour of being visited by a vixen and by hedgehogs. I am also being visited by numerous b*****y cats.
I would love to put food out for my visitors, but it will be stolen by the cats and encourage them even more.
I have just bought a couple of cat scarers, and will try, with my trail cam, to see if the fox and hogs are affected (probably). The manufacturers claim not, but marketing and BS are, as far as I am concerned, synonymous
Any suggestions for feed that cats won't take?
By the way. I have nothing against cats, per se. My dislike is with owners who allow their cats, free range, to 'do their own thing' to the detrement of my garden and wildlife.

TIA

Fof

You can put food out for the hedgehogs in a tunnel, they can easily get to places that cats can't. The foxes are more problematic as a cat can get to any place a fox can and cats will drive foxes off.

I'm not convinced that cat scarers work at all, let alone that they selectively only deter cats. If you can ascertain where the foxes are coming in then you could place the food directly at that spot then it would minimise the chance the cats could get it.

I'm not convinced that cat scarers work at all, let alone that they selectively only deter cats.
I agree, which is why I intend to try and watch with the trial cam.
If you can ascertain where the foxes are coming in then you could place the food directly at that spot then it would minimise the chance the cats could get it.
Not a hope.:D:D The garden currently has no fences or hedges.
I have a 1m Cornish hedge going in soon, followed by a mixed hedge. Even then the vixen could get in anywhere, as there are no gates either.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back