• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter birding in Estonia (2 Viewers)

West End Birder

Hi All
Does anyone here bird Estonia on a regular basis? I will have a free day in December this year and wondered what the chances are of seeing Hawk Owl and other stuff I might not see in the UK.
Are there any tours?
Thanks in advance
Rob

you could try these guys, very experienced guides

I think hawk owl is a bit unpredictable, some winters are better than others

Cheers
James

Chancing upon a Hawk Owl is pretty unlikely, there will be the odd one dotted about, but they are far from common (variable, but like single figures per winter across the entirety of the country, maybe even only one or two). Need local gen.

Winter seaduck easier.

you could try these guys, very experienced guides

I think hawk owl is a bit unpredictable, some winters are better than others

Cheers
James

I’ve got a week with them at end of March. Friends used them for a day and were very happy but I can’t remember what they got with them and what they got solo

Edit just looked. They got Pygmy but no hawk owl

Will be writing it up here when I do it

Last edited:
Chancing upon a Hawk Owl is pretty unlikely, there will be the odd one dotted about, but they are far from common (variable, but like single figures per winter across the entirety of the country, maybe even only one or two). Need local gen.

Winter seaduck easier.

Jos is there any prospect of winter damselfly in Estonia last week of March first of April.

I remember a thread a few years back when I was surprised how early you were getting insects but I know Estonia is further north

Jos is there any prospect of winter damselfly in Estonia last week of March first of April.

I remember a thread a few years back when I was surprised how early you were getting insects but I know Estonia is further north
Depending on the season, April can see fairly 'advanced' spring - certainly they can be on the wing in Lithuania considerably earlier than that, so I'd imagine you have a good chance in Estonia.

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for insects if we get some sun. First time in the Baltic and very much looking forward to it

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for insects if we get some sun. First time in the Baltic and very much looking forward to it
Large Tortoiseshell and Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell are both typically very early fliers - though not common, they are often among my first butterflies of the year. Of course, I refer to Lithuania, but broadly should be similar in Estonia if the spring is early enough.

Thanks all.

Depending on the snow situation getting around Estonia is really easy. Whatever speed limit the roads say is the speed you’ll do empty straight roads everywhere except central tallinn

I’d imagine snow doesn’t really phase things much too

A British crew has hawk owl a few weeks ago going from info on the Estonian version of ebird as ebird keeps the owls hidden Cant remember what it’s called but there’s a write up online. I arrived after a big thaw and we went to last sightings but they were 10 days old. Only low single figures hawk owls this winter.

Ebird pretty good for everything but owls. We had stellers eider on mainland but that might be unusual.

Took a lot of goes for three toed and didn’t see lesser spot or any unusual mammals. December might be better in some ways despite less light

It’s a very very easy country to get by in. Felt well ahead of U.K. in a lot of regards and you can essentially get by with English. I didn’t eVen use google translate once

Users who are viewing this thread

Back