• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker type bird, Merritt Island, FL, USA (1 Viewer)

rjackb

Would appreciate some ID help with this bird. Seemed to behave like a woodpecker. Think I've seen a flicker at this location before but doesn't look like one to me. Thank you.

Jack

Attachments

• Bird-655.jpg
    Bird-655.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Bird-656.jpg
    Bird-656.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 44
Striking how dark it is on the upperparts, with very little white barring visible. Is this an effect of wear or is it plumage variation?

Striking how dark it is on the upperparts, with very little white barring visible. Is this an effect of wear or is it plumage variation?
Southern Florida birds are darker, per Sibley field guide. Presumably clinal, as they aren't distinguished as a separate named subspecies (at least not by IOC).

Southern Florida birds are darker, per Sibley field guide. Presumably clinal, as they aren't distinguished as a separate named subspecies (at least not by IOC).

Yes, I thought that. This bird is really dark on the upperparts though, so perhaps some wear and individual variation is also a factor.

Thanks for the ID. I see Red-bellied Woodpeckers almost every day (they are very common around my house) but this one threw me, maybe because of the slightly different coloration as mentioned above.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back