• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker with appendage (1 Viewer)

Monzi L.

United States
We have a Red Breasted Sapsucker that we see on our apple tree almost every morning. It has been letting me get closer each day. This morning I noticed that it has an appendage on its lower left side. It seems it uses it for balance. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? And what would cause it?

Attachments

• F48B7B4B-D0B7-416C-B609-AF9C6DD6A242.jpeg
    F48B7B4B-D0B7-416C-B609-AF9C6DD6A242.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
We have a Red Breasted Sapsucker that we see on our apple tree almost every morning. It has been letting me get closer each day. This morning I noticed that it has an appendage on its lower left side. It seems it uses it for balance. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? And what would cause it?
After looking at my photo closer, could it be that its tail is broken? Maybe it had gotten stuck in a trap or something?

You might be right as to a broken wing as I've never seen anything like that on my Sapsuckers.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;) Please keep us posted as to the Sapsucker's condition.

You might be right as to a broken wing as I've never seen anything like that on my Sapsuckers.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;) Please keep us posted as to the Sapsucker's condition.
Thank you so much for the response and kind welcome.

Hi Monzi and a warm welcome from me too.

It could be a wing, but I was wondering if maybe it's a deformity in the tail. They do use their tails to support themselves on the trunks of trees, but it would look much straighter.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Monzi and a warm welcome from me too.

It could be a wing, but I was wondering if maybe it's a deformity in the tail. They do use their tails to support themselves on the trunks of trees, but it would look much straighter.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Thank you Delia 😁
I think you’re right, definitely its tail. The wings look normal. It was so odd when I first noticed it and couldn’t figure it out. After I posted on here, I studied the picture more and it’s the only thing that makes sense.

I just love birds and wish I had more time to just watch and photograph them. Maybe when I can retire some day. Lol!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back