• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Year list question (1 Viewer)

Robinroe

United Kingdom
Hi, I am doing my first year list and was wondering whether people count birds that they haven't seen but have heard? I have heard Turtle dove on a few occasions but have yet to see one this year.
My list is purely for for my own enjoyment but I would like to stick to the rules,assuming there are rules.

Thanks

Your list, your rules. I didn't used to count "heard-onlys" on mine, but having run into a definite Long Eared Owl youngster that proved impossible to see, despite being just a few feet above me in a conifer, in 2020, I decided that as long as I was sure it was a bird (and not a recording being played by someone else) that I would count those birds from then on, though I do prefer to see them if at all possible (without causing disturbance).

Hi, I am doing my first year list and was wondering whether people count birds that they haven't seen but have heard? I have heard Turtle dove on a few occasions but have yet to see one this year.
My list is purely for for my own enjoyment but I would like to stick to the rules,assuming there are rules.

Thanks
As long as you can be reasonably sure of the ID, why not. I certainly do. The key is to find a standard of proof that you are happy with yourself - whether that's copying (or taking inspiration from) other people's rules, or finding your own method.

Thanks all , I certainly wouldn't tick something I heard without being 100 % sure. Interestingly I was told the other week NOT to tick any white tailed eagle (not that I've seen one) seen in England as it would be from the reintroduced population in the Isle of white and therefore not ''wild'' . I guess everyone has their own interpretation.

Thanks all , I certainly wouldn't tick something I heard without being 100 % sure. Interestingly I was told the other week NOT to tick any white tailed eagle (not that I've seen one) seen in England as it would be from the reintroduced population in the Isle of white and therefore not ''wild'' . I guess everyone has their own interpretation.
It's quite possible for a "genuinely wild" WTE from the continent (or one from the less recently reintroduced population in Scotland) to turn up in England. So it depends on the circumstances. I guess the ones from the Isle of Wight are tagged or ringed, which could be visible in some conditions.

There were Dutch ones in Norfolk last year while the IOW ones were in wandering widely I think. The Scottish ones don’t seem to wander as much.

I’ve been remembering/noting heard only this year but not including because I generally hope to see them by the end of the year but it’s the first time I’ve had a definite target and I have 5 I probably won’t upgrade to sighted this year so I’m kind of regretting it as I don’t think I’ll hit the target 😀

2 of them would be lifers though and life ticking on a call even for very distinctive birds feels weird to me.

It's quite possible for a "genuinely wild" WTE from the continent (or one from the less recently reintroduced population in Scotland) to turn up in England. So it depends on the circumstances. I guess the ones from the Isle of Wight are tagged or ringed, which could be visible in some conditions.
We've had genuine WTE for years, I've seen at least a couple in Hampshire, one of which was Finnish-ringed. But don't have anything to do with the Isle of Wight plastics, certainly.

John

I never used to count the ones I only heard but after reading this thread I believe I will :)
Just don't count solely on the basis of the Merlin app (or one of the other Sound ID apps) telling you that you've heard something. Double check the recording/sonagram to make sure against confirmed recordings. Merlin etc aren't completely accurate yet.....and it might be some time before they reach anything close to that level.

For year and life listing purposes I only count seen, but @Farnboro John makes a good point about not causing undue disturbance for the sake of a sighting. I do record heard only's for my records, they just don't count towards the total. If you are doing any sort of survey such as recording on eBird, then of course it is important to record heard-only's where you are sure of the ID.

The current increase in noc-migging has thrown up some cracking records, but personally I would find it tricky on how to list them obviously they need recording to increase awareness but ticking them after listening back to recordings would feel a little disappointing to me.

For year and life listing purposes I only count seen, but @Farnboro John makes a good point about not causing undue disturbance for the sake of a sighting. I do record heard only's for my records, they just don't count towards the total. If you are doing any sort of survey such as recording on eBird, then of course it is important to record heard-only's where you are sure of the ID.
That's partly the reason I asked as I have heard turtle dove in a few different places this year and read a piece on birdtrack asking for people to record them for conservation purposes. I will no doubt see one at some point this summer but haven't as of yet.

The current increase in noc-migging has thrown up some cracking records, but personally I would find it tricky on how to list them obviously they need recording to increase awareness but ticking them after listening back to recordings would feel a little disappointing to me.
No way can you list anything from a recording. If you listen to it live OK: if you subsequently identify it from a recording having heard it live OK (after all I don't think anyone would deny the Eleonora's finder a tick though someone else ID'd it from his photo!) but if you weren't there at the time forget it.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back