• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Browed Warbler in May? Wirral, UK (1 Viewer)

Tavish

Is this possible? On Monday I watched a bird fairly low up in a tree directly above me on the walk down to Inner Marsh Farm Hide (about 200 metres below the bench). I saw it for a while right above me and it constantly sang. I committed this to memory - the song in particular. Having consulted all my books and listened to clips online I am 100% sure that this was a Yellow Browed Warbler. The alternatives (Gold Crest and Firecrest) are all wrong on the song. When I googled it (after identification) I was delighted to se that YBW's are known at IMF. But in May? Is this possible? Like I say - for me, the date is the only doubt.

We've actually have had two YBW here in Sweden this spring (and a Palla's Leaf at that) so I would say it sure isn't impossible. I guess it is even more of a big deal in the UK but yet. :)

In Cheshire (on the west coast) its just about annual in Late Sept/Oct.
Ok! Similar (or slightly less) as the Swedish west coast then. Wouldn't completely disregard this observation then. Stranger things have happened :) The song is after all quite distinctive.

I wouldn't want to cause a migration of birders as I'm not as expert as most on here. Mind you, it seems these birds can be seen easily enough in the Autumn so I guess there's no danger of a traffic jam in Burton. I'm pretty thorough at looking things up. But mainly, as Ola says, that song was stuck in my head all afternoon. When I finally heard a clip on the internet that matched it it felt like a blessed relief. The RSPB website says that some may overwinter in the UK. I might pop down later and see if I can get a photo. The way the weather's shaping up, standing under a tree will be about right.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=yellow+browed+warbler

The 7th one down (Dave Curtis) just nailed it for me. It flew into a tree (Sycamore I think) right above the path and I looked up at it's underside for about 20 seconds at about 20ft high. It was making a sound like this throughout. Very hidey, it was, in the leaves. Once I dared to move, it flew off into the bushes on the railway line side.

It was very smart and small and very pale underneath. the pictures online look so right. I went home planning to listen to Goldcrests/Firecrests online but I couldn't get the sound. Then I was listening to alarm calls of Willow Warblers (similar?) but I wasn't convinced on the sound or appearance. I was very pleased to have identified this - then i start reading about autumn...How disappointing!

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=yellow+browed+warbler

The 7th one down (Dave Curtis) just nailed it for me. It flew into a tree (Sycamore I think) right above the path and I looked up at it's underside for about 20 seconds at about 20ft high. It was making a sound like this throughout. Very hidey, it was, in the leaves. Once I dared to move, it flew off into the bushes on the railway line side.

It was very smart and small and very pale underneath. the pictures online look so right. I went home planning to listen to Goldcrests/Firecrests online but I couldn't get the sound. Then I was listening to alarm calls of Willow Warblers (similar?) but I wasn't convinced on the sound or appearance. I was very pleased to have identified this - then i start reading about autumn...How disappointing!
Oh! That is not the song though but the call (as you now say). I can unfortunately see that it is easier to misidentify YBW from the call rather than song.

hi jane, it was the smart little wing bars/marks when perched That's why i was looking at gold/firecrests in the books. Willow W seems plainer in illustrations.

Been back but no sign. Got rock solid willow & sedge warbler and reed bunting all in plain view. Lots of black tailed godwit and a coupla avocet on the water. Can't complain.

Is this possible? On Monday I watched a bird fairly low up in a tree directly above me on the walk down to Inner Marsh Farm Hide (about 200 metres below the bench). I saw it for a while right above me and it constantly sang. I committed this to memory - the song in particular. Having consulted all my books and listened to clips online I am 100% sure that this was a Yellow Browed Warbler. The alternatives (Gold Crest and Firecrest) are all wrong on the song. When I googled it (after identification) I was delighted to se that YBW's are known at IMF. But in May? Is this possible? Like I say - for me, the date is the only doubt.

Well if it looked like a YBW and was giving a 'sweeoo' call then that is promising. At a well watched site if you see something that looks or sounds odd I would get someone on it at the time, no harm done if it turns out to be something common.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I agree. My sedge and willow warblers were confirmed by nearby experts today. Reed Bunting was mega distinctive in marking and activity. I may have a lightly pencilled tick against YBW till Autumn when i will seek to ink it in. Warblers drive me nuts. That may be my epitaph.

Well if it looked like a YBW and was giving a 'sweeoo' call then that is promising. At a well watched site if you see something that looks or sounds odd I would get someone on it at the time, no harm done if it turns out to be something common.

Stephen

As Stephen says and w/o wanting to seem "ranty" was this "possible" reported to the staff/volunteers at IMF? I was working on Monday ... and trust me the staff here would certainly take a 5 min break to ratify it for you/everyone!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back