• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

I figured that....just been looking at a decent scale map of the area.
Shame I'm working tomorrow and Saturday...Might try and have a look on Sunday when I take my youngest to his badminton tournament in Harrogate.

I figured that....just been looking at a decent scale map of the area.
Shame I'm working tomorrow and Saturday...Might try and have a look on Sunday when I take my youngest to his badminton tournament in Harrogate.

There were 4 goosander and 12 teal there also - you could see them from the road. Only stopped becuase I thought the cold snap might have convinced something to stop. Wow, I am really chuffed with finding an inland LTD on one of 'my' local patches!!

There were 4 goosander and 12 teal there also - you could see them from the road. Only stopped becuase I thought the cold snap might have convinced something to stop. Wow, I am really chuffed with finding an inland LTD on one of 'my' local patches!!

Wow! Wonder if it's the bird that was at Hay-a-Park a few months ago? Makes me want to go to Losh, but I'll check out your pond first I think.

Well done Marcus, brilliant find and some very good shots, definately one of my favourite birds. I always wonder why these hardy sea duck often end up inland often on small ponds like this!
Derek

Still present this morning, along with 7 goosanders, 3 snipe, 9 teal, 2 cormorants and 4 pochard.

If you saw the size of the pond you would wonder how they all fit!

Nice find, I reckon that might be just about bikeable too, if I set off early tomorrow.
Just weighing up LTD vs lie in...

I got to Rodley in the end, btw. Its not a bad site actually- and all the regulars and staff and people seemed really helpful. I said I might be able to do a bit of volunteering if they needed me. Got good views of two kingfisher and a water rail.

Still present this morning, along with 7 goosanders, 3 snipe, 9 teal, 2 cormorants and 4 pochard.

If you saw the size of the pond you would wonder how they all fit!

It must be good eating (unlike Losh!) Will be having a glance for the LTD and Goosander first thing tomorrow morning, armed with camera.

Was in Scarborough with work this afternoon and thought it would be rude not to check out the Black-throated Diver in the harbour. Parking my van on a loading bay I was able to find the bird within seconds and watch it for about fifteen minutes. It was good to see the plumage details close up in contrast to the brief appertiser we had last Sunday.

Was in Scarborough with work this afternoon and thought it would be rude not to check out the Black-throated Diver in the harbour. Parking my van on a loading bay I was able to find the bird within seconds and watch it for about fifteen minutes. It was good to see the plumage details close up in contrast to the brief appertiser we had last Sunday.

Did you rule out Pacific Diver ;)

Cheers,
Bob.

Went down to Spurn this morning, the road to the point has been washed away again, will be closed for the next 7 days according to the warden on the gate. Hoped to get the Pallas Warbler, not a sniff, knew I should have gone to Scarbourgh for the Black Throated Diver!! After spending an hour stood waiting for the warbler that was not there, we set off to walk Beacon Lane. Usual Birds spotted, Dunnocks, Great and Blue Tits, Robins, Blackbirds and Starlings. Not a sniff of a Snow Bunting or Brambling ended up at the Hide on Beacon Pond. Mute Swans, Brent Geese, Widgeon and a lone Sanderling.
On the way back to the car we came accross a pair of redpoll, pretty sure they are not Mealy!

Attachments

• rp2.jpg
    rp2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 99
Went down to Spurn this morning, the road to the point has been washed away again, will be closed for the next 7 days according to the warden on the gate. Hoped to get the Pallas Warbler, not a sniff, knew I should have gone to Scarbourgh for the Black Throated Diver!! After spending an hour stood waiting for the warbler that was not there, we set off to walk Beacon Lane. Usual Birds spotted, Dunnocks, Great and Blue Tits, Robins, Blackbirds and Starlings. Not a sniff of a Snow Bunting or Brambling ended up at the Hide on Beacon Pond. Mute Swans, Brent Geese, Widgeon and a lone Sanderling.
On the way back to the car we came accross a pair of redpoll, pretty sure they are not Mealy!

Yes, Lesser Redpoll.

I made it across the pennines safe and sound. I called in at the pond at last light and the bird was still there. I would say that the first birder threre will get the glut of birds and then everyone else will just get the ltd and maybe some snipe or teal.

If continue past the lake you get to a stubble field where I have flushed jack snipe before now. There a loads of winter thrushes in the hedges and the odd brambling knocking around too. You will of couse see red kite and you should see buzzards. Keep eyes peeled for little owl as they are not infrequent.

If you walk past the pond into the field and turn left (actually following the path) you will get to a style - scan this field for deer and hare both of which should be around if you have kept noise down. Good luck.

Here is the pond at last light, this tree holds all the winter thrshes and usually something else interesting - GSW or Sparwk!

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 82
Saw my local Tawny for the first time this evening. As a few will recall i had some trouble ticking tawny in the first place. The local bird used to call on frosty nights from the aerials on houses across the road but when i noticed this (as indoors) i was usually drinking wine and far too sozzled to move. Today as im at work in the morning and its the first frosty night here i was compus mentis enough to go have a look and behold 4 doors down across the road the owl was calling in all glory. One for the bird atlas i feel.

Good one James....I'm hoping that my local tawny owls start their calling a little bit further east of my house..that way they will be in my tetrad, if it's west they won't be. LOL

In my tetrad im pleased to say. Just been readying myself for my first visit to one of my tetrads and my house tetrad has got a stream involved and a local 'moor'. So Short eared Owl then !

Marcus's LTD was still present this morning. I biked across the Harewood estate and arrived at the little pond at about 11. I saw it straight away out in the middle of the pond. It came quite close and I got a fairly good view. Not much else there.

It was good to see Long-tailed Duck, its one of I've been after for a while cos I've seen them before but it isn't on my lifelist. (Sounds stupid I know, but I never kept lists as a kid- so I have ten or so years worth of birds not on record.) Anyway, its there now. Thanks for the information, Marcus.:t:

I connected with the LTD this morning. Also present a few Snipe, half a douzen Red Kites, Water Rail, Willow Tit, and loads of Fieldfare.

Inspired me to go to Losh - not much I'm afraid:

53 Mallard
Little Grebe
1 drake Teal
2 Tufted Duck
Small gull roost of Black-headed & Common
2 Moorhen
1 Hare

Hopefully some nice shots of the duck, but unfortunately rather dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back