• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

Great Skua 2 is a juv dark morph Arctic, Doc (not gonna claim its a pom ;) )

Well spotted ! Having looked closely, image was sandwiched between two great skua images, shows the danger of assumption! So hats off to Trystan ,maybe I need to spend longer IN the sea!o:)o:)

Well spotted ! Having looked closely, image was sandwiched between two great skua images, shows the danger of assumption! So hats off to Trystan ,maybe I need to spend longer IN the sea!o:)o:)

Just glad I haven't lost the plot. I would have liked more views of great skua on our trip, only one and another called that I didn't see. I understand it's usual for there to be more about.

Thornwick Pool

Used to be two pools, now made into just one pool. Accessed either via Thornwick bay Holiday caravan park, park in the fishermans car park at the bend on the entrance road. The pool is between the car park and the cliffs[not the fishing pool]. Look for the hide at the top of the slope. Or you can take the road along to Thornwick bay and park on the grass where the footpath runs down from the big house and walk up. Importantly water levels can be controlled here and another hide will be in place soon.

Phil

Used to be two pools, now made into just one pool. Accessed either via Thornwick bay Holiday caravan park, park in the fishermans car park at the bend on the entrance road. The pool is between the car park and the cliffs[not the fishing pool]. Look for the hide at the top of the slope. Or you can take the road along to Thornwick bay and park on the grass where the footpath runs down from the big house and walk up. Importantly water levels can be controlled here and another hide will be in place soon.

Phil

Thanks Phil,frustrating as camped at Thornwick sat night/sun morning.Not sure when stint turned up,so may not have missed it!

Thornwick Pool

I believe two Little stint were found there on Saturday. This place needs looking at several times a day, it`s the only place on the head likely to hold waders for any length of time. The Buff Breasted didn`t stay long but other waders have lingerd, also surely just a matter of time[and new hide] before Crakes are found.

Phil

I believe two Little stint were found there on Saturday. This place needs looking at several times a day, it`s the only place on the head likely to hold waders for any length of time. The Buff Breasted didn`t stay long but other waders have lingerd, also surely just a matter of time[and new hide] before Crakes are found.

Phil

Frustrating! Checked the 'marsh hide' between Thornwick and head sat evening.Some mud still present, but only birds there were whitethroat/mipits/grey heron x2/mallard and a few greylag! If only had known about the pools!!Thanks for info anyway Phil!

Spending a couple of days in Cleethorpes with the family this weekend, any suggestions?

had a quick scout on the net and seen that there's Cleethorpes country park, not seen of any sightings lists knocking around that are recent. Any good? or anywhere else in the vacinity of Cleethorpes? Can't really leave Cleethorpes due to family reasons over the weekend, so will only be for a just under a few hour max each time.

Muchos thanks in advance.

* I realise I have posted this in the Yorkshire topic...oops. But still

Last edited:
Best place to start is the Lincs Bird Club website
Anywhere on the East Coast could be good this weekend if we get the easterly winds that are forecast, If you head south from Cleethorpes anywhere from Tetney should be good

A few people have said about the weather this coming weekend. I've checked the Met Office and BBC sites, and I'm not seeing easterlies. If anything it's still showing a westerly flow generally. It turns to a southerly on Saturday, but nothing too promising.

Hope I'm wrong.

Tony Martin is one.

Don't know for sure but I think it might be Mark
Sounds like Mark Robinson and Tony Martin then. Surprised I wasn't told. George Bennet mentioned something the other week.By the way Andy the info board at Pulfin NR is still in pieces.
Spending a couple of days in Cleethorpes with the family this weekend, any suggestions?

had a quick scout on the net and seen that there's Cleethorpes country park, not seen of any sightings lists knocking around that are recent. Any good? or anywhere else in the vacinity of Cleethorpes? Can't really leave Cleethorpes due to family reasons over the weekend, so will only be for a just under a few hour max each time.

Muchos thanks in advance.

* I realise I have posted this in the Yorkshire topic...oops. But still
Buff-breasted Sand at Donna Nook Tuesday. Gibraltar Point has had some birds recently.

A few people have said about the weather this coming weekend. I've checked the Met Office and BBC sites, and I'm not seeing easterlies. If anything it's still showing a westerly flow generally. It turns to a southerly on Saturday, but nothing too promising.

Hope I'm wrong.

Looks as if an extension of the Azores High is going to push over Britian later today and tomorrow. Likely to be a South Easterly but not much more than a light breeze as isobars look well spread out. Then back to light Westerlies for the next week as low pressure moves in off the Atlantic.:t:

Hope I'm wrong.

BBC saying SE winds Thu and Fri (turning W on Sat). Accuweather NE Thu and SSE Friday. Met Office E Thu afternoon and SE Friday. Magic Seaweed SE Thu and Fri. All agree westerlies by Saturday.

Not expecting wonders, as winds not very strong, but hoping a few things drip in and are lingering on Saturday morning, when I've got a pre-scheduled visit planned.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Im heading down to Flamborough on saturday and was wondering waht the weather's looking like for seawatching? I presume the lack of easterlies means passage is unlikely?

Liam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back