• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (102 Viewers)

Bought a book last weekend at a car boot sale, "The Encyclopedia of British birds" by Donald Campbell published by Dempsey Parr, hard-back version cost me all of £1!!!(who's tight fisted?) looked a decent book, although I'd never seen it before.
Just had a look at price on Amazon, Wow!! I'm looking after this one.
pete

Down at Swillington Ings today for a couple of hours. Not much about other than a few buzzards and a couple of marsh harriers. A fly through by a male peregrine was nice though

After a cracking sea trip the other week I am considering going out on the last trip, Saturday 6 October, 10:00 departure. Anyone else doing the coast that day?

Went to Wheldrake yesterday got a patch tick in the form of Greenshank and a Yorkshire Year tick with Spot Fly so now 187 for Yorks this year.

Down rodley again and a Rodley lifer in the form of Green Sandpiper. The rivers in flood and has pshed some nice kingfishers onto the reserve, as snapped below.

Significant vis mig too between 8AM and 10AM;

6 Pied Wags
1 Grey Wag
33 Mistle Thrush
7 Song Thrush
1 Mipit
40 Swallow
9 House Martin
1 Sand Martin

Also three chiffchaff and a blackcap.

Attachments

• kfrod_filtered.jpg
    kfrod_filtered.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 75
  • gsw_filtered.jpg
    gsw_filtered.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 69
  • kf1_filtered.jpg
    kf1_filtered.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
After a cracking sea trip the other week I am considering going out on the last trip, Saturday 6 October, 10:00 departure. Anyone else doing the coast that day?

I'll be doing the coast but it will be the South Coast...got to take my eldest to look at the Uni in Brighton that day. Much sooner be out on Brid bay ticking the skuas & shears.

Down at Spurn this weekend, good views of the BlueThroat on the beach, Black throated Diver, off shore, Bar Tailed Godwits, Shearwaters (manx & Sooty)+++ thousands of dunlin and Knot plus all the usual waders...all-in-all a good weekend.
Dave

Went to Spurn yesterday afternoon and got good views of the Bluethroat. Also got my first Yorky Turtle Dove as it flew of Canal Scrape. Unfortunately no sign of the reported Jack Snipe, but several Common Snipe and young Little Grebe.
Had to go to Mansfield today so popped into see the Long-tailed Skua in Notts. Well worth the visit if you are in the area. Also several Wheatear while walking to see the Skua.

Got the Buff-breasted Sand yesterday at blacktoft as well as a nice fly thru hobby. Was hard work getting the 40 species i managed. Very steady. Might go for the bluethroat after uni tomorrow

Norfolk this weekend - any more takers?

If in any doubt look at the weather chart for Friday night. It could be bonkers!

Please note destination may change if there is a bird flood elsewhere on Friday!

Attachments

• fri pres.jpg
    fri pres.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 82
  • fri.jpg
    fri.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 89
ringing flamboro on thurs and birding spurn friday so no can do with norfolk. Got a black tern at North Cave today with a Buzzard over South Cave- had a 3 raptor trip home with sparrowhawk and Kestrel

Norfolk this weekend - any more takers?

If in any doubt look at the weather chart for Friday night. It could be bonkers!

Please note destination may change if there is a bird flood elsewhere on Friday!

Don't know yet Marcus. I may make a late decision but if you are full, I might even see you down there. I'm not sure how free I am yet, and what might be found yet between now and then nearer home.

I'd be keen to see the Snow Goose - a while since I've seen a gen. one.

Anyhow, just read the Long-tailed Skua thread, how are you going to manage on crutches?

Don't know yet Marcus. I may make a late decision but if you are full, I might even see you down there. I'm not sure how free I am yet, and what might be found yet between now and then nearer home.

I'd be keen to see the Snow Goose - a while since I've seen a gen. one.

Anyhow, just read the Long-tailed Skua thread, how are you going to manage on crutches?

Yeah, we may end up somewhere else entirely too I guess given the weather and this greater legs may pop back up. My mate Pete who is coming uses a stick to walk so just wondered the if LTS was possible en route to wherever.

LTSkua

Yeah, we may end up somewhere else entirely too I guess given the weather and this greater legs may pop back up. My mate Pete who is coming uses a stick to walk so just wondered the if LTS was possible en route to wherever.
Hi Marcus
It about a twenty five min walk, but does look further, when you view the birders in the distance. Is your mate Pete Colley?? He/you should be able to make it, I have being birding with hime once or twice. If you start there at least yr not far form Norfolk or that far back to Spurn, just in case..

Darren

Hi Marcus
It about a twenty five min walk, but does look further, when you view the birders in the distance. Is your mate Pete Colley?? He/you should be able to make it, I have being birding with hime once or twice. If you start there at least yr not far form Norfolk or that far back to Spurn, just in case..

Darren

Hi Darren, yes it is Pete, he's a great birder.

Anyone else having second thoughts yet - it is really warming up!!

Marcus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back