• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

I think the Big Hole is the big hole on the right of the path that leads down to the river from the visitor centre (not Lin Dike). There is no access but it can be viewed from the path. I think this is the jobby

Last edited:
Cracking day at Blacktoft yesterday. 50 species including 10 waders. Brilliant views of bittern, young marsh harriers everywhere, there were 3 on the ground at ousefleet. Over 60 blackwit, 15+ spotted redshank, wood sandpiper, loads of ruff and green sandpiper, plenty of snipe, dunlin, avocet, redshank and few lrp. Saw quite a few bearded tit, 8 little egret
and a grasshopper warbler. Would added more to my list if i'd looked at hedgerows more. Dint see a swan though!

I forgot to add Barn Owl carrying prey. How can you forget that?!!

Forgot Greenshank as well, 51.

Somewhat inspired by this, with 8 potenial year ticks at blacktoft at the moment and BBC weather suggesting it would be a sunny evening in Goole I went over tonight.

I arrived in torrents of rain and although it picked up a bit afterwards, I managed only one of the 8 which was surprisingly Grasshopper warbler.

I did see 4 swans btw.

I think the Big Hole is the big hole on the right of the path that leads down to the river from the visitor centre (not Lin Dike). There is no access but it can be viewed from the path. I think this is the jobby although it doesn't show the paths

Arrowhead pointing wrong way Ken.....it's behind you....:t:
The one indicated is up t' stack and where a couple of years ago Bearded Tits were disturbed by over keen volunteers...............:eek!:
Joe

Last edited:
Corn Bunting

Found this bird in my local area (Hemsworth), in cereal fields perched up singing, it was quite skitish and would take flight even when viewed from car window, but eventually manaaged a grab photograph. Which I have tried to upload, but as it's my first attempt not sure whether the technique used works, any tips apprechiated.

Mark.

Attachments

• Corn Bunting Royd moor s.jpg
    Corn Bunting Royd moor s.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 129
Found this bird in my local area (Hemsworth), in cereal fields perched up singing, it was quite skitish and would take flight even when viewed from car window, but eventually manaaged a grab photograph. Which I have tried to upload, but as it's my first attempt not sure whether the technique used works, any tips apprechiated.

Mark.

Nicely done Mark ....... Did you walk far to get it .....?;)
Joe

Had no joy with this. Went down twice today either side of lunch and only managed 3 YLG. Anyone with any photo's? There wasn't a huge choose of gulls to scan through either, and none seemed to be moving in or out of the hole

Is is a proper one with yellow legs or a dodgy brown one where you need a protractor to measure the angle of the forehead?

Joe you know me if there is a walk to be had it may aswell be a good one, but no I pass it every morning on route to work, only ever seen one, so not sure if it's breeding as I assume or just hanging about, I belive they are quite late breeders, so will keep my eye out for juvenilles, hopefully the combine won't arrive to early.

Mark.

hello.. i've started getting into Butterflies recently , i was wondering if anyone could recommend some sites close to Leeds/York, for Brown Argus/ Blue .. or am i way out?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's seen this bird as it seems unclear whether there is a bird flitting in and out that's only being seen occasionally or that the bird being reported is the bird in the following link (which some visitors are ticking as caspian)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=263153

Dave

I'm not doubting there is another bird which must be coming in and out but people are definitely ticking this bird as the Caspian and even this afternoon it was causing debate but the consensus of opinion again in the field was that its not Caspian.
As you know my experience with gulls is crap, but I would have thought a 2nd CY wouldn't be as advanced as this 3rd CY bird, and wouldn't it have a dark bill?
As I was trying to explain earlier, there was another bird which was at an angle facing away from us which appeared to have a long bill, definite dark eye and had a good shaped forehead for Caspian but there was no telling the size of it, and the bird was sat so its legs wernt visible. While discussing the bird in the link, it was lost. The mantle and scaps were pretty pale and seemed quite uniform for a young bird, but light and the angle it was facing meant a positive ID wasnt possible.
I heard there are photos of the bird in question, and I'd be really interested to see them as I posted earlier, so I know what were looking for!

I'm not doubting there is another bird which must be coming in and out but people are definitely ticking this bird as the Caspian and even this afternoon it was causing debate but the consensus of opinion again in the field was that its not Caspian.
As you know my experience with gulls is crap, but I would have thought a 2nd CY wouldn't be as advanced as this 3rd CY bird, and wouldn't it have a dark bill?
As I was trying to explain earlier, there was another bird which was at an angle facing away from us which appeared to have a long bill, definite dark eye and had a good shaped forehead for Caspian but there was no telling the size of it, and the bird was sat so its legs wernt visible. While discussing the bird in the link, it was lost. The mantle and scaps were pretty pale and seemed quite uniform for a young bird, but light and the angle it was facing meant a positive ID wasnt possible.
I heard there are photos of the bird in question, and I'd be really interested to see them as I posted earlier, so I know what were looking for!

When I saw it there was another six guys there. It was stood still square on in the water for ages and everybody had no doubt it was Caspian. I hate gulls and took the other guys opinion for granted because they seemed far more clued up on what a 2nd summer Caspian Gull should look like than me, but that means nothing. It certainly didnt have a dark bill and didnt look like a yellow legged of which there were THREE to me
Theres a video on youtube, the guy seems to doubt its authenticity. Im not sure if it's the same bird I saw. As I say gulls are a test for me. Youre going to have to go with your own feelings I think on this one for now. For me it makes 300 for life so I want to count it more than I am sure I can. Can't count wishful thinking.

Last edited:
When I saw it there was another six guys there. It was stood still square on in the water for ages and everybody had no doubt it was Caspian. I hate gulls and took the other guys opinion for granted because they seemed far more clued up on what a 2nd summer Caspian Gull should look like than me, but that means nothing. It certainly didnt have a dark bill and didnt look like a yellow legged of which there were THREE to me
Theres a video on youtube, the guy seems to doubt its authenticity. Im not sure if it's the same bird I saw. As I say gulls are a test for me. Youre going to have to go with your own feelings I think on this one for now. For me it makes 300 for life so I want to count it more than I am sure I can. Can't count wishful thinking.

It's not a Caspian Gull. Probably a 2nd summer Yellow-legged Gull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back