• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

220 - Tundra Bean Goose (45+ nr. Muchalls)

After Sunday's unsuccessful search for the local Beans, today was successful, although not that easy. In wintery conditons I managed at least 45 Tundra Bean Geese amongst 200+ Pinkfeets in a stubble field just west of Muchalls, although this is a somewhat conservative total due to nasty conditions preventing a full and accurate count. Also at least 20 European White-fronted Geese in the flock; certainly the highest totals I've ever had of either species. Very pleasing stuff and a good way to have taken advantage of the strike.

Hopefully they will quickly make their way south!

CB

Give it a while and I'm sure they will ;), Aberdeen tends to be the dispersal point for birds going south so these birds should head your way. Another 35 Waxwings yesterday over Aberdeen Grammar School, the largest total I've had over the school so far.

Joseph

Last edited:
233) Great Grey Shrike, Upper Longdon, Staffs
234) Desert Wheatear, Titterstone Clee Hill, Shrops
235) (Tundra) Bean Goose, Bredons Hardwick, Worcs
236) Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Chew Valley Lake, Somerset
237) Spotted Sandpiper, Herriots Bridge, Chew Valley Lake, Somerset
238) Bewick's Swan, Blagdon Lake

Last edited:
Up to 210 for the year after the evening excitement at the end of what had otherwise been a quiet day yesterday in Teesmouth with Andrew. 3 Short-eared Owls were an overdue yeartick, while a stunning male Siberian Stonechat was an unexpected lifer.

Up to 210 for the year after the evening excitement at the end of what had otherwise been a quiet day yesterday in Teesmouth with Andrew. 3 Short-eared Owls were an overdue yeartick, while a stunning male Siberian Stonechat was an unexpected lifer.

Brilliant little birds aren't they! Well done! :t:

273 - ?? I can't remember...
274 -Siberian Stonechat - Zinc Works Road, Durham (Saturday)
275 - Golden Pheasant - Wolferton Triangle, Norfolk (Today)
276 - Western Sandpiper - Cley Marshes NWT, Norfolk (Today)

Last edited:
Been so busy for a while, not much time spent on birding but....

68 for my Japan list :)

Expected to rise in the next few days, my exams are over and the winter birds should all be here :D

No yearticks today, but a bit of a goose fest. The fest came in the form of a flock of 158+ Tundra Bean Geese at Loch of Strathbeg today, which I suspect have been brought in by the very cold weather. The flock was in a field opposite the reserve's Tower Pool Hide, where I watched them from, and included in it were at least 25 European White-fronted Geese plus 3 Greenland White Fronts. As a result of the cold weather it was very wintery up there, with a couple of inches of lying snow and as a result substantial flocks of buntings such as 70 Yellowhammers and 20 Reed Buntings amongst commoner finches and other passerines. Coming in on the back of this passerine arrival was a male Merlin, always great to see and a good addition to a very enjoyable winter day's birding.

Joseph

Oh no.. I dipped germany´s fifth? Bonaparte Gull only 100km away from me.
Yesterday the Gull was seen first, but it was to late to drive to den Gull and today they was away:(

Great weekend with friends at Barren Grounds south of Sydney, including the two specialities, the threatened Bristlebird and the bloody-difficult-to-find Ground Parrot ;)

236: Flame Robin (lifer)
237: Pilotbird (lifer)
238: Brush Bronzewing
239: Crescent Honeyeater
240: Eastern Bristlebird
241: Tawny-crowned Honeyeater
242: Rockwarbler
243: Ground Parrot

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back